a small goof - should i worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bankerbrewer

Reaction score
I racked my belgian wit from the primary to the secondary. should have used a carboy but I racked into a bucket. The lid was new and the rubber grommet, gasket, whatever u call it was really tight and a little out of round. I was putting the airlock in and was putting more pressure than usual because it popped thru the lid and fell in the batch.

I had my racking cane and hose already sanitized but no paddle or spoon. I couldn't think of a sure-fire way to get it out so I left it in there.

I know it isn't ruined, but I wonder if that will impart any fine rubbery notes to offset the wheat malt, oats, coriander, orange and hops? I am not too worried about it because I brewed it with ingredients I bought over six months ago. (yeast was new and the hops were refrigerated. the lme was muntons wheat and was about 8 months old.

Anyone have any insight on a piece of rubber (sanitized, of course) in the secondary or using lme that may have been made a year ago? the fermentation is complete, I just racked to a secondary because I haven't had time to bottle. that piece of rubber will force me to wash and sanitize them.

relax, dont worry, and have a home brew. the rubber gasket probably ruined your beer, but, who cares. just brew again and drink great beer while doing it.

"no man, by worrying, ever added a single day to his life."----Jesus of nazareth

Don't worry about it. It won't hurt anything.

The year-old LME, well, it's preferable to use fresh extract, but it'll still probably be okay.

relax, dont worry, and have a home brew. the rubber gasket probably ruined your beer, but, who cares. just brew again and drink great beer while doing it.

"no man, by worrying, ever added a single day to his life."----Jesus of nazareth

hey, I just gave myself not one but 2 excuses if it tastes like spiced vinegar! thanks for the assist, fellas.

Back