Time to start lagering, secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I have a lager i'm doing that has gotten down to around 1.020 at 50*. Its been in primary for 9 days. the OG reading may have been faulty but was 1.066.

Is it time to start dropping the temp for its lagering phase? I've already racked off the trub.

Yes, assuming you skipped a diacetyl rest for 24 to 48 hours (I dont know if people ever do rests after racking from the primary) you are ready to drop the temp for lagering. I sort of have to ask though, why did you rack when your gravity was still showing sugar available for fermentation, 1.020 just seems a little high. Hope it turns out well!

On advice from LHBS. I skipped the rest because I was having a killer time hitting the 65 degrees. In the fridge was a stable 50. Out was getting 60-80. Even tried swamp without success.

Its been sitting at 35 for two weeks now. I'm going to rack it into my corny soon and start carbing it. flavor is good so far!

Today was the day! Had my first homebrew!!! Nice rich flavor (almost wanted a bit more hop, and i'm not a hop guy) beautifull head and aroma. Nice ammount of ABV. And laces up nicely on the sides. I would say we had a sucess. a quarter of the keg is gone already and i live alone!!!

Firstbeer.jpg

Maby this is why.....

untitled-2.jpg

Many thanks to my BMBF, almost no foaming, and process was smooth and quick with minimal spillage!

Back