Am I a homebrewer? NO!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when it suddenly became an insult to refer to my school's janitors as janitors; they magically turned into 'custodians.' Never was sure what all or who all they had custody of...

Nowadays I think they're all environmental engineers or sanitation supervisors, or some such. :rolleyes:

Grey area for sure but since he isn't producing any alcohol on location it slips into that "6 of one half dozen of the other" type of thing.

Just as long as you take me seriously and miss the jokiness of the comment. :)

I'm not a homebrewer?

then my car is

(shameless, gratuitous, unsolicited advertisement for Brew Hardware)

IMG_9177.jpg

'home brewer' in my area usually means a kit-in-a-can brewer. Most all-grain brewers I know call themselves 'craft beer people'

I had no idea denizens of the great white north were so hoity-toity...:eek:

If I ever start calling myself a 'craft beer person,' I hope someone is merciful enough to put me down.

In the United States going back to at least 1900, homebrew or “home brew” was the opposite of “city brew”.
In this regard the term was a reference to beer not brewed in a big “city” production operation.

BTW - “Blue ribbon malt hopped extract” (from the OP) came along in the 1920’s, ostensibly as a baking product. The “hopped” part has been suspected as being a “wink” at prospective beer-makers during prohibition to use the product. Kind of like the “dried-grape”/raisin products that came with a yeast packet and had a label stating “not to” mix with water, sugar and stir ... etc.
But “Home brew” far predates using questionable malt extracts and other less wholesome items or methods of the prohibition era. We are not talking about "bathtub gin" here.

The respectability and tradition of “home brew” arrived with immigrants who brewed for themselves and their families and neighbors in the old country for a thousand years. This has a much deeper and more essential past than even the alehouses and abbeys of the day ... which might be likened to “artisanal”, incorporating a master brewer, apprenticed brewer or someone for whom brewing was a specialty.

If you are a Home Brewer you are part of a way of life that goes back to at least medieval times in Europe (and elsewhere) and was part of the structure of everyday life, not just recreational like it is today ... And as far as artisanal brewing, home brewing is certainly a much closer blood-relative of the Alehouses and the Monastery brewing traditions of the 1400’s which developed *from* the home brewing tradition, than any modern commercial beer regardless of lineage.

Yup. Gotta love the history,Jacob. That's the cool part of being a home brewer to me,having studied the history after starting this quest. The beer remains they found in China that DFH emulated was some 9,750 years old! Now if that's not home brewing,I don't know what is!...:rockin::mug: Some of the beer remains they've found the last year or so are thought to be as much as 300,000 years old! Born to party,y'all!

I am not ashamed of the word home brewer, yes I would call myself a home brewer. But usually when we are talking I just say "I brew beer". But I am not ashamed of the word:) say it proudly home brewers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am not ashamed of the word home brewer, yes I would call myself a home brewer. But usually when we are talking I just say "I brew beer". But I am not ashamed of the word:) say it proudly home brewers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I figure that if it's good enough for the American Homebrewers Association, it's good enough for me.

Quite some time ago,some archaeologists were sifting through the dirt from a dig & found viable pollen grains. Tough lil buggers. I got to wondering just how tough yeast cells could be if enough were clumped together over so many millennia?

Quite some time ago,some archaeologists were sifting through the dirt from a dig & found viable pollen grains. Tough lil buggers. I got to wondering just how tough yeast cells could be if enough were clumped together over so many millennia?

Kind of old news at this point, but this is what happens:
Ancient Yeast Reborn in Modern Beer

I wonder exactly what that narrow band of sugars are that the yeast can metabolize? The spicy thing sounds like the French saison yeast,3711...

Back