"Beer Bottle Bender" noob advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fadeux

Reaction score
I am a newb myself, but no one told me this, and I just plain lucked out. Everyone will tell you that you need pop tops, and not twist offs, but no one told me that North American bottles cap differently than European bottles. So without this info, I went on my bottle collecting bender, and after drinking countless sixpacks of Sam Adams (it was tough work, believe me :)) I decided to go with a 6 pack of Amstel light, only to find out that I couldn't recap it. At least not well.

Anyway, minor tidbit, but just thought I would share before someone goes out and drinks a few cases of good European beer, only to find out they can't recap it.

To clear up any confusion, yes, I am on my "Bottle Bender" right now as well... :)

Yes, you can buy the euro caps, and a special piece for your bottler, but thatll run you like 10 dollars! In this economy, thats like a down payment on a Ford, GM, or Chrysler vehicle! I know this is pretty much a pointless post, but I was pissed at my Amstel bottles and had to vent it someway! :)

i dont need a special piece for my bottle capper, i just buy extract kits from the LHBS and they come with caps and they work on my bottles with my capper

argh!, I give up, forget I posted... I just added 12 sam bottles to my stash, I am going to make some breakfast, and go to bed... You're a real buzzkill xbaby, you know that? :)

Some European Imports come in bottles that take a 29mm bottle cap instead of the standard American bottle cap. Fadeux was just letting everyone know that and the fact that you can get a replacement "bell" to cap those bottles.

Anyone know about Beck's bombers?

They're the cheapest 24 ounce bottles around here, and I want to make sure they don't need a euro-sized cap.

If it's not cap size but neck ring size, the wing cappers use a pair of reversible metal 'jaws' for the different necks. You might need pliers to pull them out and push them back in.

so that is why heinekin bottles are a pita, i get them done, but they do tend to slip alot more, make sense now! I would not say you CANNOT use them but they are deffinitly not a smooth or easy to work with!!

Hmmm...I think that the OP referred to Amstel Light as "good European beer". Aside from that, I cap amstel light bottles all the time with my standard wing capper and regular bottle caps. They don't look like it, but they're tight. I tested it with Coke :)

Hmmm...I think that the OP referred to Amstel Light as "good European beer". Aside from that, I cap amstel light bottles all the time with my standard wing capper and regular bottle caps. They don't look like it, but they're tight. I tested it with Coke :)

Umm... no, I never said that.

I had problems with Amstel + wingcapper; much slipping.

My 29mm bell was like $3 by mailorder.

Back