Ranco Wiring Failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSchalls

Reaction score
Somehow I screwed up the wiring on a new ranco 111000 ETC
I connected all the wires, but they must not have been tight enough, because when I turned it on, it sparked, and died. After successfully rewiring it, the controller doesn't show any signs of life.
Is there any way to salvage this, or did I just throw away $50?

if you have a tester and some soldering skills you can always take the controller apart and look for any parts that have been fried then replace with parts you can get at any radioshack. this can take a while and if you dont have a tester or soldering supplies at your disposal it would probably be better just to get another controller

Look for a fuse, but I couldn't find one on my buddy's dead one. they don't always look like a fuse, sometimes they're all metal and soldered in place. If not, send it to me and I'll see if I can Frankenstein it together with the other dead one I have (seriously).

setting range is kind of hampering there at 45-90F

That is true, but I think I can work around it by using this one for my fermentation fridge, and using my other controller for my lager freezer

If your really against the Rancos now then you at least need to make sure that the thermometer is on a lead on the Lux, otherwise you will have to rig some way to mount it inside the freezer. I think for the extra $10 though, I would just replace the Ranco that fried. At least you have spare parts in case something ever happens to it.

Back