Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they kicked me out of the ethanol plant here for trying to steal their truck and yelling, "I got your sweet sweet ethanol!". or maybe that was just a dream? either way, I know it wasn't an anhydrous ammonia truck.
Your neighbors all know why you REALLY keep all those propane bottles around, buy tons of cold medicine and rip through lithium batteries like the energizer bunny, don't they Toothless?

back to our regularly scheduled programming...

at least I think it's funny

full disclosure: no, I did not buy it; I used the $30 I saved from not buying it going next door & spending it on beer.

2014-11-28 19.58.38.jpg

I took some homebrew to thanksgiving yesterday and asked for a glass. She went straight to the freezer and pulled out a pint glass.

It actually worked out pretty well because the stout I was pouring was overcarbed, so that cut down on the foam :mug:

My mother-in-law is very happy to have glass mugs in the freezer, and gets them out for us when we're sharing a growler of Half Acre that my brother-in-law brought with him. Some things you just go with, especially when it comes from a place of love.

I had a guy tell me a beer tastes too brown. I told him brown was not a flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My wife relates all kinds of flavors to color...
She is a bit odd, I'll admit, but love her all the more for it! She also used to refer to beers in terms of their relative balance of "flowers" (hops) and "crackers" (malt). She knows the correct terms now, and has a pretty good palate, but still likes to call my favorite IPAs "oohh, nice flowers" (no matter how citrusey or piney they are) just for old times sake...

on Brooklyn Nine Nine last night

Santiago: "Teddy never has done anything that spontaneous or romantic. That's not fair, he did brew me a rose-infused pilsner once, but it tasted like hand lotion and the bubbles didn't happen."

on Brooklyn Nine Nine last night

Santiago: "Teddy never has done anything that spontaneous or romantic. That's not fair, he did brew me a rose-infused pilsner once, but it tasted like hand lotion and the bubbles didn't happen."

That is funny.

I was at a pub in Moab UT last week and while talking about Utah's dumb 3.2% ABV law with my bartender she tried to tell me that Guinness is 3.2% everywhere already so it's not a big deal...

I was at a pub in Moab UT last week and while talking about Utah's dumb 3.2% ABV law with my bartender she tried to tell me that Guinness is 3.2% everywhere already so it's not a big deal...

well, actually...

Utah's law is 3.2 ABW, which is 4% ABV, about what the alcohol content of Guinness is (4.1% ABV)

well, actually...

Utah's law is 3.2 ABW, which is 4% ABV, about what the alcohol content of Guinness is (4.1% ABV)

True, but I think the "funny thing overheard about beer" was the idea that because Guinness is already a 3.2ish beer, the law's not a big deal - as if Guinness is the only beer that he should be concerned with.

Or at least that's how I interpreted it. Maybe I misread that story.

True, but I think the "funny thing overheard about beer" was the idea that because Guinness is already a 3.2ish beer, the law's not a big deal - as if Guinness is the only beer that he should be concerned with.

Or at least that's how I interpreted it. Maybe I misread that story.

I interpret his statement "She tried to tell me" as he thought she didn't know what she was talking about

well, actually...

According to the credible Wiki "Guinness Original/Extra Stout: 4.2 or 4.3% ABV in Ireland and the rest of Europe, 4.1% in Germany, 4.8% in Namibia and South Africa, 5% in the United States and Canada, and 6% in Australia and Japan."

Maybe I'm about to learn something new, but I took this to mean that Guinness was actually 5% assuming you live in the US and your state does not have any goofy laws limiting your beer.

I will say that I didn't know Utah went by ABW, so that's a neat fun fact.

well, actually...

Guy from UT here... just to clarify our silly little law; Yes beer is measured as ABW by the state, but most local breweries still list ABV on the bottle/can. The 3.2%ABW/4%ABV refers to what can be sold at grocery stores/gas stations/bodegas etc. Everything above 4% can only be sold at liquor stores which are all owned by the state.

As far a Guinness goes, I can go into pretty much any market and buy 4% Guinness, or I could go to the liquor store and buy 4.2% Guinness and 6% Guinness Extra.

if you cut the top off a can of Guinness and turn it upside down, it comes out like cranberry jelly. and you can cut it into slices too!

(I did not overhear this. I'm gonna tell someone this next time I'm in a liquor store with craft-ish beer.)

If it is properly chilled you can use it as suppositories (so I hear, I don't plan on trying that).

According to the credible Wiki "Guinness Original/Extra Stout: 4.2 or 4.3% ABV in Ireland and the rest of Europe, 4.1% in Germany, 4.8% in Namibia and South Africa, 5% in the United States and Canada, and 6% in Australia and Japan."

Maybe I'm about to learn something new, but I took this to mean that Guinness was actually 5% assuming you live in the US and your state does not have any goofy laws limiting your beer.

Extra Stout in bottles is the 5% version.

you drink it on tap, it's Draught (also available in bottles & cans) and it's 4.1% (the paragraph preceding the one you referenced)

In KY every beer over 5% has to be labelled as such. Some 4.6-4.7 are labelled. Never seen a number on a guiness. Nowhere near 5%.

if you cut the top off a can of Guinness and turn it upside down, it comes out like cranberry jelly. and you can cut it into slices too!

(I did not overhear this. I'm gonna tell someone this next time I'm in a liquor store with craft-ish beer.)

Absolutely true. Seen it myself. ;)

My wife relates all kinds of flavors to color...
She is a bit odd, I'll admit, but love her all the more for it! She also used to refer to beers in terms of their relative balance of "flowers" (hops) and "crackers" (malt). She knows the correct terms now, and has a pretty good palate, but still likes to call my favorite IPAs "oohh, nice flowers" (no matter how citrusey or piney they are) just for old times sake...

But hops are flowers... she is technically correct...

I remember when I thought Killians Red was the **** and I had moved "beyond" Bud Ice... I try to keep that in mind when I hear my inner beer snob coming out.

Yep,:mug:. Once upon a time, Killians Irish Red was my go-to fancy beer. Bud Ice ("official beer of the NHL, so it must be good!") and Coors Light were the everyday drinkers. Everybody starts somewhere sometime.

The wife and I keep a case of Miller Lite around still. Sometimes, it's nice to have a cold one.

At the grocery store tonight and the checkout guy says, "oh, what kind of Fat Tire are you getting!?" (Rampant DIPA...) I proceed to tell him it is the Double IPA, and without pause he follows with, "have you tried their winter beer, it has all kinds of grapefruits in it!"
Me: "No, but I'll have to take a look next time..." (all the while thinking "does New Belgium really have a new winter beer? That sounds like an awesome hop profile!")

Once had a guy explain to me that budweiser tastes better out of an 8 ounce can than a 12 ounce can. He even had me take a sip from his 8 ounce can. He was cooking some mean bbq for a bunch of us, so I was nice and agreed.

Once had a guy explain to me that budweiser tastes better out of an 8 ounce can than a 12 ounce can. He even had me take a sip from his 8 ounce can. He was cooking some mean bbq for a bunch of us, so I was nice and agreed.
Man, how can someone be into FLAVOR so much that they make a mean bbq, but drink american lager and believe there is a taste difference based on can size?!? Give that man a homebrew!

Back