what would you say my ferm temps are?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazedandconfused

Reaction score
I have an ipa in its third day of fermentation right now and ive been struggling to keep the temps.down on it. The fermometer on the the side has been reading a pretty constant 70-ish. I have it in a water bath that i was going to add frozen water bottles to, but for some reason my freezer will not freeze them. Fermentation is definately slowing down and im afraid the high temps are going to F with the flaver of my beautiful beer, Help me obi-wan kenobi........youre my only hope.

I forgot to mention that the fermenter is a plastic bucket. Not sure if thats relavent to temp readings.

The fermometers are actually fairly accurate from what I've read... if it's saying 70 you may be a degree or two higher than that inside, but not far from it.

yeah, 2 packets is overkill for that, but shouldn't hurt. Also, I think you're fine at 70 with that yeast - I keep my fermentation chamber at about 60-62 with that yeast, which puts the fermentation at about 68 and get very clean ferments.

So those adhesive thermometers on the side of a bucket are actually *that* accurate? I've read many conflicting reports, some say they are accurate, some said as big a difference as 10 degrees from the wort.

Also, a related question: When reading the temp on the adhesive therm, are we looking at the "green" reading as the actual temp? Mine usually has a green, a couple blueish, and a brown all showing at the same time.

probably depends on the vessel for accuracy. It's probably a good idea for everyone to get a long thermometer and check the accuracy of the fermometer at least once to have a reference point.

Not sure on the reading.. Right now mine is between 66-68, both are blue - so temp is between those. Here's the fermometer website.. gives some insight.

http://tkachenterprises.com/Products.html

Also, I guess if it's immersed in a water bath that's not good for the fermometer according to the website.

I have the water level below the fermometer and left exactly enough room for two water bottles to be placed in the water - with the two bottles the water is almost almost touching it.

Back