Probably been asked but how long is too long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
I put a beer in primary on december 16th. Haven't had time to bottle yet. I actually have a few days off next weekend. Have I waited too long? or if i bottle next weekend will it be fine?

It's probably ruined.

Just kidding. It could go way longer in primary without any problems.

alright thanks i just don't feel like going through the hassle of washing every bottle and then putting them in the oven right now.

Don't use your dishwasher unless you KNOW for sure that it gets to sanitizing temperature for the proper length of time. I know mine doesn't.

You're more than fine. In fact, this just means it needs less time in the bottle to age (it'll just need time to carb up).

Why don't you just wash your bottles with a "no-rinse" cleaner, then sanitize with Star-San?...Easy Breezy....

That's what I do, and I've never had a problem.

What kind of beer is it, and what yeast did you pitch? I am sure you will be fine, but the style of beer and yeast will matter to a degree. Lager yeasts don't tend to hold up as long as most ale yeasts. Its only been 2 months so you should really be fine either way as long as you didn't stress the yeast too much to cause them to puke out early.

Back