worth it to upgrade burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggoodman

Reaction score
Hello Ive been brewing for a while and had no problems with my current sutup but was wondering.... I currently have the SP10 style burner although mine is quite old at this point it still looks and works nicely. would there be any benifit to changing the burner out to the type that's in the SP14

my brewpot is a keggle.

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/propane_cast_iron_burner.htm

I dont know the specifics of those burners but when I upgraded from the burner that came with my turkey fryer setup to the Banjo high pressure cast iron (as it's labeled on that link you gave. I think it's the KAB4?) it made a world of difference. First, it didnt run as rich as my old burner so my pots wouldnt have black crap all over them at all times. Second, it heated wort and water 5 times (estimate) faster. On the downside it wasnt as good with a slight breeze so I had to move my brewing into the garage instead of the back porch. Kind of a pain as it was nice sitting in the sun in the summer but well worth the faster boils...

Well if it's a noticeable difference in the time it takes to heat the wort or strike water then it's worth the minimal investment, If not then it's not.

The burner in the SQ14 will not give you any more BTU. AFAICT, the BTUs are determined by the psi of the regulator you use.

My SP10 came from Amazon, and had a 10 psi regulator which Bayou claims puts out 55,000 BTU. The SQ14 on the Bayou site says it has the same 10 psi regulator. Interestingly, the SP10 on the Bayou site has a 20 psi reg, capable of putting out 185,000 BTU. I feel jipped. :( I may just get me a new regulator.

The KAB6 burners use a 30 psi regulator.

I have 3 of the BG10's pictured in your linky.
I an confirm that they are worth the minimal money to upgrade.
I can bring 13 gallons to a boil in about 16-18 minutes.
Hope this helps

I'm not sure a burner from the SQ14 would be a step up. My understanding is that the burner on the SP10 can handle higher pressures and is capable of higher BTU output than the burner on the SQ14. As mentioned, apparently some people got SP10s with a 10 PSI regulator, so that would cause a bottleneck. Now, if you're talking about the banjo burner... But then again, if your setup is working fine, why bother upgrading?

Northern Brewer has the KAB4 (BG14 burner) package at $75 or so... and the burner itself at $39. The $75 gets you the burner, stand, and regulator with 2' of hose. A hell of a good deal I thought. I went into the store intending to get just the burner and fabricating my own stand, but when I saw the whole set up sitting next to it, I couldn't pass it up. My 80 qt kettle sits very solid on that stand.

As for your question, that's hard for anyone but you to answer. I like ChrisS68's answer.

thanks for the reply I have the sp10 burner's I am asking about the next step up.
Right. And I was trying to tell you that the SQ14 is not a step up. If you want to step up, you'll need the Banjo burner and a 30 psi regulator.

Bayou Classic said:
Many people have asked us for a BTU for this cast iron propane burner. The actual cast iron element (burner) does not determine the BTUs. The regulator determines the BTUs. You can use the 20 PSI and 30 PSI regulator kit with it.

Link

BTW - I checked my regulator, and it is 20 psi. Not sure why I thought it was 10 :drunk:

ETA - Or you can get a new regulator for the SP10:

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/bg10_cast_iron_burner.htm.htm

Many people have asked us for a BTU for this cast iron propane burner. The actual cast iron element (burner) does not determine the BTUs. The regulator determines the BTUs. You can use the 10 PSI, 20 PSI, 30 PSI and 40 PSI regulator kit with it.

Has anyone tried this?

ETA2: Which burner were you asking about in the OP? There is no SP14...

Back