Airlock activity during Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchard1983

Reaction score
So I started fermenting a week ago friday, and within 24 hours my airlock was bubbling like crazy, all of the water in the one side of the s curve. Now the bubbling seems to have completely stopped, I watched for a good minute or so and nothing. Additionally, the water is still on the one side of the s curve, where as I thought it would level back out.

I'm sure this is nothing to be concerned about, but just wanted to check. Any issues here, or should I just leave it and check things out in a week or so when its be 2 weeks in there.

Thanks,

Jim

Just leave it alone, the airlock isn't bubbling, simply because it doesn't need to....nothing more, nothing less.

If your airlock was bubbling and stopped it doesn't mean fermentation has stopped.
If you airlock isn't bubbling, it doesn't mean your fermentation hasn't started.
If your airlock starts bubbling, it really doesn't matter.
If your airlock NEVER bubbles, it doesn't mean anything is wrong or right.

Your airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it is a VALVE to release excess co2.

So get out of the habit of thinking that an airlock bubble it telling you anything.

airlock bubbling, lack of airlock bubbling, stopped airlock bubbling, fast airlock bubbling, slow airlcok bubbling, heavy metal airlcok bubbling, or disco airlock bubbling really is not an indicator of what is happening to your beer, really isn't important, and it is NOT an accurate gauge of fermentation.

The big part of fermentation is done, so it's not needing to vent anymore co2 right now, but that doesn't mean the yeasties aren't still working away.

Everythings fine...just let the yeasties continue to do what they need to.

:mug:

As the good Revvy says, airlock activity or a lack of it is no indication of a problem or that fermentation is complete. give it another week or two and check it with your hydrometer for three days in a row, (you do have a hydrometer right?) if it does not change over those three days and is in the expected range for your recipe, it is likely done fermenting.

Rev, is this a response you cut and paste for people. You helped me back about a month ago an i was gonna help this guy out but looks like you gave him the same response.

More or less. It's one of the most frequent questions on the board. In fact, I'll just out and say that airlock activity *is* the most frequent n00b topic out there.

Latest posts

Back