Great deal on beginners kit though Midwest and Livingsocial.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstrawn

Reaction score
I hardly ever look at emails from living social but noticed this one today. $64 for everything you need minus a boil kettle, includes an ingredient kit (extract I assume) and a $25 gift card for next purchase through Midwest. Although I am established with my equipment I'm thinking about getting it just to have the extra stuff around!

Here's the link.
http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/...starter-kit?id=588148-beer-making-starter-kit

Thanks for the post. Can always use more stuff.

Anyone use this yet. I am unfamiliar with living social will they send me a code to use on Midwests site?

This is an awesome deal! Thats what I started with. The Irish Red is a great selection if my humble opinion means anything...

They give you a code to enter at the checkout portion that lowers the price to the $64. Just know that the $12 adds to it for shipping -- but at $76 its still a monster of a deal to start off with.

Go for it!!!

Thanks love the msu avatar. I have pretty much everything in the kit but the $25 coupon and kit that comes with it pretty much pays for it.

nvious23 said:
Thanks love the msu avatar. I have pretty much everything in the kit but the $25 coupon and kit that comes with it pretty much pays for it.

That's what I was thinking. Seems like I can never have too many fermenters.

Anyone use this yet. I am unfamiliar with living social will they send me a code to use on Midwests site?

I just ordered it. I paid living social for a code and got sent to the web site where I signed up and paid for shipping after entering the code. It was pretty easy and took about five minutes.

Been lurking on this site a while while researching getting into homebrewing. Just purchased this deal last night. Good thing about LS is their referral system. I've seen this done on another site I frequent the last time this voucher was available, by using referrals *** EDIT: My referrals have been used, please see the next page and use the next referral link you come across *** we can get free vouchers. The way for this to work though is for everyone that purchases the voucher to post their links, and anyone looking to purchase to use the 'oldest' posted referral link.

If you use my link or not, I'm definitely excited for my first brew and looking forward to many many more brews and becoming a part of this community. Already dreaming of building equipment, kegging and building a keezer for my man cave!

**Disclaimer: As stated, that is a referral link. I need 1 more referral and my voucher is free - I will delete my link when I get that last referral. Also, if you do purchase a voucher, please copy/paste your referral link here for the next person to purchase. We can all help each other out.

Make sure that its for online and not in store (though they were able to work with me on the "instore" groupon I purchased and I only ended up paying $12 shipping for a wine kit.

Interesting. I purchased it (the one I linked to) and instantly got my voucher code to enter as my Midwest promo code. Didn't notice anything about instore, was that a previous deal?

Yea, the one I mentioned was a previous one on Groupon.

I was just saying to be careful... Like I said though, I talked with them on the phone and they did the purchase no questions asked.

Good service and product from Midwest.

Good to hear, just got finished placing my order. All I had to do was enter my voucher code as the promo code and paid the $12 shipping. Simple as that! Needless to say, I'm pretty excited for it to get here.

I agree with rayman and think we should take advantage of this referral system. I just used another member's link to buy my kit, and if everyone planning on buying this does the same we can save some serious money.

Referral Link Removed

DO THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!. Im not sure why, but the code I put in made my order free. 12$ shipping. Thats it.....

Items Ordered

Product Name SKU Price Qty Subtotal

Subtotal $126.80

Shipping & Handling $12.00

Discount (INGSOC-03-XGM4-FHL7) -$126.80

Grand Total $12.00

Beginner's Brewing Kit Recipe Kit Amber Ale

MBEK8-AMBER $126.80 Ordered: 1 $126.80

I just got in on this...here is my link to use after the others have been removed...great deal.

Link pulled...got my 3...use the next one down.

Just got an email from Living Social, I got my 3 referrals. It really works and I will also confirms it simply is only $12 shipping. So the sooner you buy and post your link the more likely you will you be only spending $12 and getting the hardware, a recipe kit and a $25 coupon. Can't really complain about that at all, even if you already have all the hardware. There is still 7 days left too, so it probably won't to hard to get the 3 referrals either. Thanks everyone. I'll be on the lookout for more things like this as well - now that I'm a member here - and will post if I find anything. Further, for those not familiar, I recommend checking out the Homebrewing subreddit as this is where I originally found this offer.

Just got an email from Living Social, I got my 3 referrals. It really works and I will also confirms it simply is only $12 shipping. So the sooner you buy and post your link the more likely you will you be only spending $12 and getting the hardware, a recipe kit and a $25 coupon. Can't really complain about that at all, even if you already have all the hardware. There is still 7 days left too, so it probably won't to hard to get the 3 referrals either. Thanks everyone. I'll be on the lookout for more things like this as well - now that I'm a member here - and will post if I find anything. Further, for those not familiar, I recommend checking out the Homebrewing subreddit as this is where I originally found this offer.

Great news! I am the next in line in this thread whose link is posted so here's to hoping that I can be as lucky! Just wondering, did you get an email (or any other way of telling) that you had 1 or 2 referrals, or did you only find out when you got all 3?

Also, HomebrewFinds.com is an excellent source for deals like this.

It's not a bad deal, if you are a beginner (then it's a great deal) or if you want more buckets and don't mind brewing up one of their kits.

I'm not personally getting it cause I'll get murdered if I get more stuff to clutter the apartment. And I don't think anyone would buy a racking cane if I tried to sell it.

DO THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!. Im not sure why, but the code I put in made my order free. 12$ shipping. Thats it.....

It is only 12 for the shipping through the website...you do however pay living social the 65 directly. There for you get two seperate charges...just an fyi...I thought the same thing when the code negated 100 percent. I then remembered giving living social my card info.

Haha I did the same thing and thought I was getting it for free for a second... Thanks to you guys I found out about this deal.

Edit: Got my 3 referrals! Thanks!

Because thats how livingsocial, scoutmob, groupon, etc... work.

You buy a full priced item at a reduced price point. The seller (in this case Midwest) gets more people to buy stuff plus they now have customers that will come back (you have a $25 voucher to use...)

Plus, when I bought the wine kit, I basically paid for a Betterbottle and the wine kit. The other equipment was a bonus. :ban:

Im a little confused on this deal. I'm just starting out brewing beer so other than talking to a buddy who recently started as well, I'm not too familiar with it. Does the $64(plus shipping) come with everything I need or do I need to apply the $25 to one the the three recpies to choose from?

Im a little confused on this deal. I'm just starting out brewing beer so other than talking to a buddy who recently started as well, I'm not too familiar with it. Does the $64(plus shipping) come with everything I need or do I need to apply the $25 to one the the three recpies to choose from?

No the 64 covers everything, you'll just need a decent sized stock pot to boil everything in. The 25 is just a gift card for your next purchase.

You will want an autosiphon instead of that racking cane though... it'll cost like 12 or something

No the 64 covers everything, you'll just need a decent sized stock pot to boil everything in. The 25 is just a gift card for your next purchase.

You will want an autosiphon instead of that racking cane though... it'll cost like 12 or something

Awesome. Thanks

Oh..... I feel silly now. I forgot I already paid livingsocia. Never used it before. At least I learned something today. Thanks for the information on a good deal tho.

I assume you have nothing? What I'd do if I were you is order this (it comes with most your necessities. Then at checkout for Midwest order as well an autosiphon and if you don't have a pot get that as well and if you don't have a thermometer that can stand the heat, get oen of those as well. Throw them all in there if they'll let you should save some on Shipping and they're all things you'll need for your first beer. Throw the racking cane in a drawer and forget about it. They're junk, the Auto siphon though trickier to clean, is a much better product.

I would also buy either at a local book store or through amazon (cause Midwest charges way too much) How to Brew by John Palmer. You cna use his site as well howtobrew.com but trust me get the book it's worth it and will guide you well through the brewing process. I have a Xoom but any phone, computer, or tablet can get you the Kindle App and you can but the kindle version of the book for like 10 bucks or get the paper back for like 12. Either way you won't regret your purchase and reading that book. You will learn much more about the brewing process and he goes in depth to cover things you don't need to worry about now but will likely some day (All-Grain, Water Chem, making a yeast starter)

This kit does come with a thermometer so that is not needed, but I would recommend an autosiphon upgrade as well. Amazon has some good kettles to compliment this kit as well, or you can get one from Midwest if they give you a good deal with combined shipping.

I wouldn't buy a kettle to start, just use a big stock pot and do a partial brew. If you don't have one, get one from Walmart. A good kettle will be the basis for your system for a long time, it's a big investment, no reason to spend $70 on a junk one now, only to realize what you really want in a kettle a month from now.

Back