I couldn't help myself. A deep Fried Egg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warped04

I am Wally
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So,

I just couldn't help myself at work the other day. I had to do it. I had to deep fry an egg.

2311-whole-deep-fried-egg.jpg

2313-money-shot.jpg

Man, it was good. I just keep trying to come up with specials for me to put it on.

im not sure how you did that without the shell and kept the shape. Did you boil it first? Do explain....

im not sure how you did that without the shell and kept the shape. Did you boil it first? Do explain....

Yes, you must boil it, but since you want to end up basically with a soft boiled egg, you must go way, way under. Basically you have to just set the outside of the white.

Did you wrap it in bacon before deep frying it? Everything is better with bacon ...

Now, there's an idea...I'm going to have to try that for sure!

i just googled scottish eggs, and now i know what i'll be having for dinner on sunday. That sounds amazing!

Are you a pro chef?

I'm a line cook. Did I go to culinary school. Yes. Do I call myself a chef? No. There's one chef in my kitchen and that's my chef. He's my mentor, and I've been working for him since I got out of culinary school, but I've been in the business for most of my life.

Now, scotch eggs with runny yolks. You might have something there!

I'm thinking the same thing.

You can't soft boil them. It's like a really light boil. I'd love to give my time out, but I'm still working on pushing it. The more time you boil it the easier it is to peel, but less chance you have to get a runny yolk after breading and frying. I'll give you my time when I get it down (it's only my second attempt). Plus at the restaurant our burners have just a ton more btu's than at home (I can boil at 400 degrees in a tilt skillet if I have too), so even if I gave my boiling time it wouldn't do any good (I think). You just have to experiment. I'll tell you right now, I'm under 4 minutes in the boiling water.

Then shock it in ice water, peel it, bread it and deep fry it.

The beautiful thing about it is, the egg is so perfect that it doesn't get greasy because the white protect it.

You can't soft boil them. It's like a really light boil. I'd love to give my time out, but I'm still working on pushing it. The more time you boil it the easier it is to peel, but less chance you have to get a runny yolk after breading and frying. I'll give you my time when I get it down (it's only my second attempt). Plus at the restaurant our burners have just a ton more btu's than at home (I can boil at 400 degrees in a tilt skillet if I have too), so even if I gave my boiling time it wouldn't do any good (I think). You just have to experiment. I'll tell you right now, I'm under 4 minutes in the boiling water.

Then shock it in ice water, peel it, bread it and deep fry it.

The beautiful thing about it is, the egg is so perfect that it doesn't get greasy because the white protect it.

The equipment you use will make no difference on the time. There is no way possible that you are boiling at 400 degrees unless whatever you are doing it in can hold pressure in excess of 5000 psi.

I gotta try a few of these! maybe a dip in some pancake or corndog batter, all in one breakfast!

I just made a few of my smoked and deviled scotch eggs a couple weeks ago, I always get a bit sad when I eat the last one.

The equipment you use will make no difference on the time. There is no way possible that you are boiling at 400 degrees unless whatever you are doing it in can hold pressure in excess of 5000 psi.

I didn't mean to imply that I could boil water at 400 degrees, but the water does behave differently.

Scottish eggs are so amazingly good! Especially for breakfast with a nice big stout

I didn't mean to imply that I could boil water at 400 degrees, but the water does behave differently.

No it doesn't. Unless you're changing the pressure, as has been stated earlier in the thread. The *only* difference you have (again unless using a pressure vessel) is that you can pour on so many BTUs that you don't really have to worry about bounce back when adding stuff to the pot.

We did a soft poached fried egg on top of a ceasar. It's a travesty considering the type of restaurant I am in, but we did it our way. We used the recipe for egg poaching the momofuko book by david chang (gotta be one of the best chefs out there). We rolled in our in house baked grissini crumbs (basically think of a onion and cheese bread stick) and fried for about 20-30 seconds. Many possibilities now....

Ive been doing these slow poached eggs momofuku style for our crazy busy brunch service. It was a life saver! We just crack a couple of them into hot water for a minute and serve em up on eggs Benny etc. We do about 200 of them at once in a huge pot and if we have left over I'll deep fry them and put em on a steak. Really good!

Actually, we use an immersion circulator and cook the eggs at a low, constant, temperature to get eggs where the white is cooked and the yolk is not. Then, you can use your sausage and panko to surround the egg, fry it, and then probably serve with with a whole grain mustard, malt vinegar, and beer vinegarette. I have also done them where you make a sausage round with a biscuit cutter and bulk sausage meat, then use a smaller one to cut out the center, sear on one side, flip, then drop an egg in for sunny side up style. Both give great results.

Back