Cider with ale yeast and Demerara sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUCCCC

Reaction score
Descriptive enough title?

Just pitched a packet of Nottingham on 4.75 gallons of Motts 100% apple juice and 2 lbs of Demerara sugar.

OG was 1.066 (corrected)
Hoping for around 1.008 FG

I plan on bottling with another 5 oz. of the Demerara for priming.

I didn't fill the carboy (5gal glass) all the way to the top, but just about a quarter inch above the last raised ridge, a little above the shoulder.

This isn't a problem with Montrachet, but now I'm thinking that I might get a bit more of a lively fermentation with the Notty.

Anyone with experience care to chime in?

Should I rig a 3/8 hose blow off from the airlock?

ETA:
IMG_1356.JPG

That foam isn't from fermentation, it's just from the juice when I poured it in.

I just did a batch of notty cider, and it was fine, low to no foam, you should be fine.

So far my only experience with cider is with Apfelwein. My experience has been that I have to let it go for at least 8 weeks to get all the yeast to drop out and leave me a clear product. Was that your experience with the Nottingham cider?

So far my only experience with cider is with Apfelwein. My experience has been that I have to let it go for at least 8 weeks to get all the yeast to drop out and leave me a clear product. Was that your experience with the Nottingham cider?

Mine's just now starting to clear (I can start to see through to the top of the yeast cake through the glass) and it's been 3 weeks, I expect it to be good and clear within the next two weeks or so.

I'm watching this one.
I did an apfelwein variation with this stuff...and it never really cleared...and it tastes a bit funny.

Apparently I should have been watching this one a bit closer myself!

I went in to check on this cider last night and there's yeast in the airlock:eek:!

None actually escaped, and there's no liquid or foam in the airlock's "downtube" now, but the fermentation got pretty active for at least a little while and almost made a mess.

No rhino farts, just the sweet smell of apples in the room right now.

It's still a bit too warm for me to do a batch of beer (I guess I'm a wimp that way), so I'll probably be doing at least another batch of cider and hopefully another wine or two until the weather cools a bit.

I made an Apfelwein using S-04. Only sat for a month, kegged and carbed it. FG was .994, yes it is a little dry - reminds me of a champagne. Was crystal clear and bubbly at the 5 week mark. Its about 3 months old, half gone and still wonderful. I dont want to overdo it on this stuff, really like it. Next time I may mix it up with some other juices, but will for sure make this again.

Back