Bock - Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
I have my Lagering Chest/Keezer now set up. First up will be a Bock I'd like to get ready for spring. I'll start it in a few weeks but I've been having issues getting specialty grains of late so I want to make sure I'll be good to go.

I haven't really found a Bock recipe I've liked yet. I was lookking for a good old fashion ordinary Bock. Not a Dobbelbock, not a Eisbock, not a Helles Bock just an ordinary Bock.

Anyone?

Thanks

Rudeboy

edit: Forgot to say I was looking for an AG recipe.

Rudeboy said:
I have my Lagering Chest/Keezer now set up. First up will be a Bock I'd like to get ready for spring. I'll start it in a few weeks but I've been having issues getting specialty grains of late so I want to make sure I'll be good to go.

I haven't really found a Bock recipe I've liked yet. I was lookking for a good old fashion ordinary Bock. Not a Dobbelbock, not a Eisenbock, not a Helles Bock just an ordinary Bock.

Anyone?

Thanks

Rudeboy

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipes they have 41 recipes on there for a Bock, Happy Hunting.

Just use primarily munich malt with maybe 10% vienna to add a little something and keep the bittering hops low with only a 60 min addtion and you will be on you way to a malty wonderland of goodness.

Reverend JC said:
Just use primarily munich malt with maybe 10% vienna to add a little something and keep the bittering hops low with only a 60 min addtion and you will be on you way to a malty wonderland of goodness.

That sounds about right.

You can also add 5-7% of dark crystal malt to give it some more complexity. I like to do this for my dark Bocks. But most importantly, have enough yeast to pitch (about 5-7 oz thick slurry) and don't let the fermentation temperature get to far above 50 *F. If this happens you may end up with a high percentage of fusel alcohols that make for a harsh finish. I actually found that in many commercial Bocks in Germany and contribute this to a rushed fermentation. A good Bock has a smooth finish.

Kai

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific on what I was looking for.

First my MLT is a converted cooler so I can't do temperature mashes. Also I'm new to the AG thing and don't have the time/talent to do decoction mashes. So that cuts out alot of recipes (although I can modify them).

Second I've never lagered before so I was looking for something that said :"Primary at 50*F for 21 days, Secondary at 40*F for 60 days" That sort of thing. Every recipe is either vauge or silent on the times and temps of fermenting/lagering.

Thanks for the input everyone I think I'm figuring it out. Although Bock's are funny. There are lots of recipes that only have Munich and a little Vienna malt. Also there are lots that use a Pilsner base and wheat and put in Choclate Malt etc. I'm not sure if it's different ways to get to the same place or that people have a very elastic idea of what a Bock is. (I'm going with the Munich/Vienna route)

One last question; Lager starters what temperature do you have the starter at? I've read that you have the starter at the same temp as the Wort when you pitch (what temperature that is is a whole other thread) but what temperature do you "culture" the starter at?

Thanks

Rudeboy

Back