can't even trade a keg in??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoSeR

Reaction score
So I tried to take a shell into the liquor store (in Florida) yesterday to use for a core and get a full one for a wedding party and they wouldn't take it without a receipt. I can understand not taking a keg just for money but come on. I've never heard of not taking one in trade.
Now I have a keg that is basically useless. I can't even turn it back in to get a full one.
So am I still supposed to feel bad about cutting it up and having a shiny new kettle?

You tried to do the right thing. Call the local distributor and ask them what your options are. If you get no satisfaction from them, break out the angle grinder!

I've never had a problem trading em at my local beer store here in Port St. Lucie, however, I don't try to trade a keg from one store to another. If I'm going to purchase something from a different store, I'll cash out the keg at the first store and they pay for the deposit on the keg at the other. When I purchased my first used kegger, I did have a bit of a problem cashing out the keg that came with it, but they finally gave me some bucks for it. I've since purchased another kegger and it has a keg in it, I'll probably just take it back to the distributor and give it to 'em.

When I brought the first keg from the first kegger to cash it out, I thought it was just like a soda bottle deposit. Figured they'd get their $$ back from the distributor, so why not give me the deposit amount? But I guess not.

Allan

Some states you are not allowed to move kegs without a paper trail. With keg theft getting worse, more places are tightening down.

david_42 said:
Some states you are not allowed to move kegs without a paper trail. With keg theft getting worse, more places are tightening down.

Which in this case seems to defeat the entire purpose. Stuff like what happened to the original poster is almost an implicit "go ahead and scrap our kegs because we won't LET you turn them back in".

I know that recently(2 weeks ago) Miller raised their deposit from $12 to $30, they may be worried that without the receipt they would be giving you back a higher amount for something that originally had a lower deposit which would still be true for a trade in. Budweiser did something similar a year or two ago (went from $12 to $25), made it a pain for the liquor store to track. Miller is at least marking the kegs.

We recently had this problem with a handful of kegs left over from an after-hours party at work. The kegs sat in the closet for a long time. No one knew where to return them. No place would take them without paperwork. I reaped a nice reward.

I've got an empty keg (and tap) sitting on the porch and we can't find the receipt for it. They won't give me anything for it.... so I guess they want me to keep it? Between the tap and keg there's more than the deposit.

Thats seems retarted, in Mich it is just a deposite. Some places try to give you a hard time if you didn't get it from them but if they sell that kind of beer then they can get thier mony from it. And there is a sticker thingy to tell the $10 deposite kegs from the $30 ones.

Back