step feeding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneCerebralSamurai

Reaction score
What is the best method to “step-feed” yeast?

I'm working on a new recipe – a sweet, high alcohol, chocolate / habanero mead, and I'm looking to get the most out of my EC-1118 yeast.

Is it better to add the honey in equal parts over a period of several days, thus never letting the gravity get over 1.040 or so... or is it better to start with a moderately high gravity, say 1.110 and then add small amounts of honey after the gravity has dropped down below 1.020?

A lot of people seem to mention step feeding, but I haven't been able to find any guidance on a procedure.

Thanks.

i would go with 1.040-1.060 gravity. bit of lea way either side. the lighter mix is generally easier on the yeast than a heavier mix. so keep it at a nice level all the way through rather than start high.
the other thing is bottom feeding. if your honey is fairly thick, don't stir it when you add it and it will settle on the bottom. yeast will feed on it as it slowly dissolves.

Back