What to brew for son's first birthday party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyacovett

Reaction score
Just got the go ahead to brew the beer for my son's first birthday party. We are having the party lakeside, and I am making a low country boil for the food. There will be a mix of people there that drink the typical BMC and that drink good craft beer. I am slated to brewing two kegs. The party will be August 6. I know this isn't much time, but lately I have been able to go from grain to glass in two weeks pretty consistently. So the questions, what to brew. Considering the short turn around time I am thinking something on the lighter side, and also that I will have to move the kegs there the morning of the party, something that if its cloudy it won't be a big deal. The obvious would be a Wit or Hefe.

I would like to do something besides a wheat beer .... any other suggestions?? What goes good with a low country boil?

Really?? I was under the impression a Kolsch needed more time to age. I have half a pound of hallertauer hops, and a bunch of Kolsch yeast, just need to cook up a starter. Any recipe suggestions?

Really?? I was under the impression a Kolsch needed more time to age. I have half a pound of hallertauer hops, and a bunch of Kolsch yeast, just need to cook up a starter. Any recipe suggestions?

Here is a Kolsch recipe that I really enjoy.

Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Kolsch
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Kölsch
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.79 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
9 lbs                 Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)            Grain         1        90.0 %        
8.0 oz                Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                    Grain         2        5.0 %         
8.0 oz                Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                Grain         3        5.0 %         
1.50 oz               Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           4        23.9 IBUs     
1.00 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        5        -             
0.50 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)          Other         6        -             
1.0 pkg               German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [ Yeast         7        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge, Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperature    Step Time     
Mash In           Add 12.50 qt of water at 160.2 F        148.0 F             90 min        
Mash Out          Add 8.00 qt of water at 206.8 F         168.0 F             10 min        

Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.51gal, 1.51gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
Mr. Malty Hybrid Fermentation Type Starter
Ferment for 2 Weeks at 58 Degrees F

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He'd probably like a sweet stout.

If it were me I'd make an APA and an Amber. I like to keep it simple, but I don't usually cater to the lowest denominator.

Classic American Pilsner might be a good bet if you can do lagers. I made one recently and it was ready and fantastic within that time frame. Use a bit of gelatin and it can look pretty too.

I'm going with everyone else here and saying Kolsch, and for the more beer-hearted a solidly hopped IPA. My birthday is in a just a few days here too, so if you need any quality control I'd be more than happy :).

OK, the Kolsch is in. An IPA might be too much for this crowd. I think a solid APA could do. Any good recipes in mind using 1272 as the yeast. I have just about any specialty grains on hnad, and plenty of Maris Otter and Extra pale Maris otter as base grains. For hops I have Cascade, Centennial, Columbus and Willamette. I still have yet to nail an APA recipe, I think I just overthink it too much. Which are your fav APA recipes?

OK, I would like to do an APA, but I have Whitbread (1099) on the stir plate already. I was making a starter for another batch, then my wife gave me to go ahead to brew for the party. I was thinking of doing something similar to New Castle Summer Ale. I know it's not the most popular beer, but I like it. It's got a lot of flavor, but is still relatively light. I know my recipe isn't a clone by an means, but I just want something similar.

How does this look?

Original gravity 1.045
Final gravity 1.013
Alcohol (by volume) 4.2%
Bitterness (IBU) 21
Color (SRM) 5.6°L

Maris Otter 38ppg, 4°L 4 pounds 57.1%
Maris Otter - pale 38ppg, 2.5°L 2.5 pounds 35.7%
Victory 35ppg, 25°L 0.5 pounds 7.1%

Hops
Goldings (B.C.) hops 5%, Pellet 1 ounce (18 IBU)
Goldings (B.C.) hops 5%, Pellet 0.5 ounces10 minutes (3 IBU)

Yeast
Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale

Mash at 151

A mild would be ready quick, and assuming you make it dark enough you won't even be able to tell that its cloudy.

Won't appeal to the BMC crowd just based on color, but you shouldn't be letting your son play with kids who drink that swine anyways.

Ok, I brewed the above English Pale Ale. It's about at final gravity (1.014, expecting 1.013). So I have that one about done. Will keg, force carb and add gelatin. After a few days I will jump it to another keg under pressure. So about 2 or 3 more days for this beer.

I decided against the Kolsch. I just don't think there us enough time to mellow. I decided to go for a hefe. I have 4 lbs of red wheat on hand, as well as most specialty grains and Maris otter and extra pale Maris otter as my base grains. I have wlp380 hefe IV for the yeast.

I came up with a base recipe, but will take any suggestions. This is what I have.

OG 1.051
FG 1.011
Color 4.3L
13 ibu
5.1 %ABV

4lbs Maris Otter - extra pale (2.5L)
4lbs red wheat (3.5L)
.5lbs Vienna

.75 oz Hallertauer 45min 11ibu
.25 oz Hallertauer 15 min 2ibu

Mash at 151

Ferment at 67