Low Flocculating Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
I am in the process of a blonde ale, which called for using a nottingham yeast, although my guy at the LHBS suggested using a London Ale due to it's high flocculation. After reading up on it, it has medium-low flocculation! I want really clear beer, and not beer with yeast suspended. Will this flocculate out if I cold crash, or should I use a fining agent too?

i know i responded to this already but to answer this part of he question: it depends on how clear you want it. if you leave it alone for a long time and cold crash at the end, iot should be plenty clear.

Even if you let it sit for about a month or so in primary/secondary, then bottle and let sit for another few weeks, it will be plenty clear.

The problem is that I'm making this for a party at the end of June. Can't really sit on it.m my plan is to cold crash for a week, then use a fining agent like gelatin.

Which London Ale yeast?

I know from very personal experience that Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) is an excellent "flocculator"

1028 isn't too bad, certainly not as powdery as some other strains. I would think that as long as you pitched properly which is probably not hard to do with a blonde as I assume its not very high OG you'll be OK (That is to say you won't have an extended fermentation time). Are you bottling or kegging? Either way just make sure that as soon as you have an acceptable level of carbonation you chill as long as you can, be it a keg or bottles and you should have a nice clean product assuming no other deficiencies in your process.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back