First ever AG underway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston85

Reaction score
Few slip ups here and there but nothing major. Mash going on 30 minutes now right at 150 most of the way. Started at 152 so only lost 2 degrees. While I am not going to call this easy, it is not as bad as I first thought it would be. This website is the best for getting information. Thanks everyone.

Good Luck, Im starting mt 5th all grain here in a few minutes. Once you go all grain, you will never settle for anything less. Its actually pretty easy and much cheaper and I think it tastes WAY better.

Thanks. The cost was crazy when I went to store today. Only about $25 for everything. So much better than extract.... Vorlauf coming... the one part that scares me a little bit.

Amazing....just opened the cooler to put second runnings in.... a fly flew directly into the mash, pretty much dead instantly.... oh well, i guess a little protein never hurt anyone...

Congrats on first AG -

what is the recipe ? My first was Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale .. probably my favorite beer, after Yooper's Dead Guy

OMG a fly in the mash !!!! Better call out hazmat and have it properly disposed of. And to much protein can cause chill haze.;)

now you should put "fly" in the name somewhere.. then if someone asks where the name comes from, tell them only after they drink it...
Don't tell ! It's more fun to keep them guessing. Everyone enjoyed the beer and names for my booger beer and snot stout. AHHHHH the little secrets;)

Haha I am also doing Wort's Haus Pale Ale.... just moved from mash to kettle.... little disappointing.... I transferred almost 7 gallons at 1.034.... efficiency only around 62%.... I guess it could have been worse my first time through. I did not head my secondary water fast enough for second running. So I did my first running into a plastic carboy, then had to wait about 10 minutes for the next 3.25 gallons to come up to temperature.... I am also a little worried that I had a bit too much air into the wort. I dumped from the plastic bucket into my kettle. Tried to do it easy, but that is hard with 3 or 4 gallons of water.

On my first running I collected 3 gallons. On the second I collected 4. As I said OG into kettle was 1.034, so I probably collected a bit too much water. I may just let the boil go a little longer than 60 minutes....

All in all though the mash part was not as bad as I thought, even though I had a number of issues.

Funny, I am brewing the same recipie, its my fave. My efficiency is 66% which I hope to increase a bit today. Water, grain, hops and yeast and the whole brew was less than 30 bucks!

I got smart today and drilled a hole in my cooler so I can stick my thermometer in and watch mash temp without opening the lid. Duh, I'm Winning!

So it is finally in the bucket but not after a rough second half of the brew..... Starting from vorlauf on it was bad. I did not heat water fast enough, so had to wait about 15 minutes before second running. Then I think I had too much air in there when going through the boil. I had almost 7 gallons at the start of the boil, but only got a little over 4 gallons into the bucket after.. I cant believe i boiled off almost 3 gallons.... not very happy. I was looking at an OG of around 1.065 so I added about a gallon of water to get it to around 1.058 which was more in line. I am a little worried about how this is going to turn out. I put 2 packages of notty yeast in there and let it do its thing. Hopefully all is well in the end, but I am not very confident.....

That sounds like my first Ag batch, I did everything wrong and to make matters worse, I forgot to take OG readings so I was clueless about effeciency and all but it turned out great anyway. I don't think you can screw up the Ed Wort recipe.

Latest posts

Back