critique my ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShemRahBoo

Reaction score
this is extract...also I don't have a pot big enough for full-boil, so im boiling in a 4-gallon pot so about 3.25 gallons in the boil. (i used beersmith to formulate this, so my hops being used are in larger quantities then if i was doing a full boil)

9# light dme
.5# crystal 10L
1oz chinook (13%) 60 min
1oz centennial (10%) 40 min
1oz each chinook/centennial 30 min
1oz each centennial/cascade(5.5%) 15 min
1oz each centennial/cascade 1 min

this is more of a double ipa, probably going to use s-04 (should i use one or two packets??). My main question of concern is the fact that i am not doing a full boil. According to beersmith if i do my 3.25 gallon boil with these hops id get around 90 IBU. How does the hop schedule look, im going for a very strong hop flavor.

Also the dryhop will be 2 oz centennial

I might go something like:

1oz chinook (13%) 60 min
1oz centennial (10%) 30 min
1oz each chinook/centennial 20 min
1oz each centennial/cascade(5.5%) 5 min
1oz each centennial/cascade 1 min

Dry hop after two weeks.

Seems to me that you have too many hops toward the beginning of your recipe so I would just shift everything a bit.

also, most IPAs finish lower and typical extract is set in the middle, so you should either use US-05 or sub a pound of DME with some dextrose to get the gravity a little lower especially with a higher gravity.

Also, for strong hop flavor, I am thinking you need more finishing hops especially since this is a partial boil.

also, most IPAs finish lower and typical extract is set in the middle, so you should either use US-05 or sub a pound of DME with some dextrose to get the gravity a little lower especially with a higher gravity.

Also, for strong hop flavor, I am thinking you need more finishing hops especially since this is a partial boil.

I agree. I rarely use hops between 60 and 20 minutes, as you get mostly bittering out of hops added earlier than 20 minutes in the boil, but not as much as you'd get if you added them at 60 minutes. So most of my bittering hops are added at 60 minutes, enough to get to my desired IBUs. Then, hops are added at 15 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 1 minute for example. so I'd totally change up the hopping and do this:

1.5 oz chinook (13%) 60 min (or whatever you need to get enough bitterness)
1oz centennial (10%) 15 min
1oz chinook or centennial 10 min
1oz centennial or cascade(5.5%) 5 min
1oz centennial or cascade 1 min (or both)

Skip the hops at 30 and 40 minutes, because you don't get flavor or aroma out of them so in that respect they're sort of "wasted". Either move them to bittering at 60 minutes if you need the IBUs, or move them to flavor/aroma hops for flavor.

thank you for the advice, anyone have any input on this particular hop combo?? sounds tasty to me, wondering if anyone has any experience. And what hops would you guys reccommend for the dryhop?

im still in the experimenting stage as well as far as hop taste goes. i just recently made an all cascade pale ale thats was terrific. firestone walker's pale ale (one of my favorites) i believe is bittered with fuggle, and finished with a combo of chinook, centennial, and cascade. this was a great tasting beer as well.

I agree. I rarely use hops between 60 and 20 minutes, as you get mostly bittering out of hops added earlier than 20 minutes in the boil, but not as much as you'd get if you added them at 60 minutes. So most of my bittering hops are added at 60 minutes, enough to get to my desired IBUs. Then, hops are added at 15 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 1 minute for example. so I'd totally change up the hopping and do this:

1.5 oz chinook (13%) 60 min (or whatever you need to get enough bitterness)
1oz centennial (10%) 15 min
1oz chinook or centennial 10 min
1oz centennial or cascade(5.5%) 5 min
1oz centennial or cascade 1 min (or both)

Skip the hops at 30 and 40 minutes, because you don't get flavor or aroma out of them so in that respect they're sort of "wasted". Either move them to bittering at 60 minutes if you need the IBUs, or move them to flavor/aroma hops for flavor.
+1
For me hops between 60 and 15 are a waste.
I don't know what yiou have for hop stock, but I loves me some Citra @ 15 min.

Back