rotary switch for ac power?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkone

Reaction score
hey guys,

i'm trying to find a rotary switch (15a) that can be used for switching ac power -- i want to be able to direct the power to only device at a time through my "control box" since i'm running this off a single 15a circuit in my house, and each device connected draws 15a, so i only want to be able to use one at time, regardless of what my brain may think.

but.

i'm having problems finding this part where it doesn't cost about $100.

any one have any idea? or a different way to select which device receives the power?

i only need three positions -- on/off will be controlled by an illuminated rocker switch.
thanks!

SPDT only selects between two devices -- i'm looking for a way to do three.

i could do cheaper switches and relays, but that's way beyond my expertise.

although if someone wanted to help...

SPDT only selects between two devices -- i'm looking for a way to do three.

i could do cheaper switches and relays, but that's way beyond my expertise.

although if someone wanted to help...

OK this is ghetto but you could use two SPDT switches chained together.

I don't think it would be a problem running the march pump at the same time as one of the 1500w elements. I'd use on/off for the pump and then either a On/Off/On switch for the elements or an On/Off (master) inline with an On/On SPDT (element selector).

Here's an on/off/on http://www.allelectronics.com/make-...PDT-ON-OFF-ON-HEAVY-DUTY-TOGGLE-SWITCH/1.html
height.500_watermark_gravity.SouthEast_watermark_percent.0.3_width.500_modified.1259833175.6137.STS-58.jpg

similar...
http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-4-ROCKER...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cec748bcc

cool. and to split the power between the two switches i can just use terminal blocks? or should i just twist the wires together and put on one of those wire twists?

i wasn't sure if i was going to trip a circuit with the pump and the element on at the same time.

i just checked my circuit breaker and they're all 20a breakers which is good to know.

I'd use a terminal block with spade connectors for the wiring, it keeps everything much tidier and easier to alter in the future. Also, terminal jumpers work well for branching out a wire. I couldn't find them at a local hardware store so I got them from McMaster, #5566T46.

Back