Bock Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ichthy

Reaction score
Hey guys

Does anyone have a partial mash Bock recipe. I tried the database without much luck. Also, I'm a newbie, so something relatively simple would be great.

Thanks in advance

I found the following recipe on another brewing board (with the caveat that the numbers are a little weird because of quantities the brewer already had on hand), which supposedly came from BYOB:

2 lb, 10 oz Munich Malt
1 lb Cara-Munich
3.25 oz Chocolate Malt
0.75 oz Black Patent Malt

Mashed in 5 qts at 153 F for 45 minutes, then batch sparged.

After the mash:

6 lbs Extra Light DME

0.5 oz Hallertauer (4.0%) 60 min
0.5 oz Hallertauer (4.0%) 30 min
0.5 oz Spalt (4.5%) 15 min

Yeast Starter (White Labs German Lager Yeast) made with 1 lb Wheat DME in 2 qts water.

OG was ~1.066.​

Personally, I would jack up the mash temp to 156 to make up for the thinness of the DME, and I'd ditch the black patent for Carafa III (dehusked), but otherwise it seems like a good place to start.

Thanks a bunch! I've never lagered before, so I need a little additional advice. Do you have an idea for a fermentation schedule (i.e., what temperatures and how long)? Could i just make a cain sugar yeast starter?

Your fermentation schedule can vary depending on the yeast, but generally I'd try to pitch at 50°F, bump it up to 60°F when you get 3/4ths the way to your final gravity, and once your done drop it 5°F a day until you get down to 35°F. Generally speaking, it should take about a week and a half to get three-quarters done, another four or so days to finish, and then lager for a minimum of two weeks assuming your gravity is under 1060. Some people will recommend a longer lagering period, but I figure it continues to lager while it's sitting in my kegerator, so I like to start drinking it young so I can taste how it evolves.

As for the starter, I've never made one with cane sugar and will defer to those with experience in that area. I always use dry malt extract and that works for me.

Back