Feeding the fermentation & additional nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
I noticed that Ken Schramm talked about adding honey when the initial vigorous fermentation slows.

He mentions that he does not follow this method because he thinks that yeast cells are missing nutrients to aid in healthy yeast metabolism.

Does anyone know which exact nutrients that he is referring to?

Also would following an extended SNA help in this situation? I'm jonsing to do a 20%+ mountain berry melomel aged in a port barrel for a couple years.

Thanks!

Sorry- I have no idea! But I'm watching this thread to see what others might suggest.

I sampled some of Ken's wonderful meads at the National Homebrewer's Conference in Cincinatti, and really became more intrigued by meadmaking then. I've made a few, but I'd really like to get more into it this summer.

Your idea sounds awesome.

Had I thought of this question 12 hours earlier we could have a response from Ken Schramm himself. A home brewer in our club judged meads with him at the KC Biermeisters competition.

As well Ken Schramm was the banquet speaker and gave a presentation on controlled fermentation for mead makers AND a local home brewer recorded it. Can't wait to hear it and see if I get permission to put it up on the web.

If I had to guess I would say Fermaid-K. It contains alpha amino nitrogen and unsaturated fatty acids which get depleated during fermentation. I believe it was formulated to be added to actively fermenting products to replenish the things that the yeast consumes and uses up.

I have never gone for a 20% ABV mead, but I have done some 16% to 18% meads.
Using SNA, and adding 2+ lbs of honey at each feeding has worked very well for me. (I did have a little "somebody slap me" posting about adding the wrong "white stuff"). What I do is heat up some water, add the nutrients, as its cooling I add the honey, let it fully cool, add to must and stir.
So far it has worked very well for me, and usually can move to secondary in three weeks, but I tend to wait a month because I'm lazy. I really don't notice any slow down in the fermentation process, so I don't think I have shocked the yeast too much but this feeding, and I have not had a problem with getting down to very dry SG of 0.098 or below.
I hope this helps, please let us know how it works out.

Latest posts

Back