Step feeding question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
Ive heard a bit about step feeding and sugar breaks....I really have no idea what the deal is and how to impliment it in my own mead making attempts...

example: a line quoted from a recipe:

Step feed at 12 hours, 1/3 sugar break, and 2/3 sugar break

Means nothing to my tiny brain...and it should. Im about to start another 5 gallon batch of traditional and if im missing something or if this will improve things then I gotta know!!!!!...LOL Thanks guys...

They correlate to certain SG values that vary based on the must OG. If you use my Mead calculator spreadsheet, and insert your recipe values, it will calculate those specific SG points as well as tell you how much of what to add... ;)

Step feeding applies to adding the honey at differing points. In the case you mentioned, 12 hours after initial pitching or sign of fermentation, then when 1/3 of the sugars have been eaten, and when 2/3 have been eaten.

Hightest, I believe says that step feeding is not necessary, and if that's true I would trust him when it comes to mead. But I also think what he was referring to in his post was the staggered nutrient additions added at similar points in fermentation, outlined in his sticky and spreadsheet.

Hightest, I believe says that step feeding is not necessary, and if that's true I would trust him when it comes to mead. But I also think what he was referring to in his post was the staggered nutrient additions added at similar points in fermentation, outlined in his sticky and spreadsheet.
Yikes, no...! :eek:

Step feeding is just someone else's term for staggered nutrient additions (SNA). They refer to the same process - the addition of nutrients in stages (steps), or at specific intervals. Whichever term you use, the represent similar processes... :)

As best I can recall, I've never even hinted that is was not necessary, quite the opposite. ;)

No no no, I was referring to step feeding of honey. I sent him to your SNA sticky, I'm all for that. I know I saw you do a very high OG apple butter cyser (I think) without stepped honey additions, that's what I was referring to.

So, stepped nutrient additions are great and listen to Hightest and read his sticky and use his spreadsheet.

I thought he had said stepped honey additions were unnecessary in most cases, but I could be wrong on that.

You may be right. I read "step feeding and sugar breaks" and immediately thought he was referring to a SNA, and you understood it to be stepped honey additions - amazing how minds work... ;)

This is a perfect example of how people can go off in different directions as a result of different interpretations of the written word. Moreover, it is instructive on the benefit of being very specific...

No harm, no foul... :)

Cool, glad you understood, because I fully admit I am nowhere near your experience and point people or use your advice often. And sorry OP for the hijack.

Ahhhhhhh...dont mind me...im just floating thought the vast pool of knowledge here....Ahhhhhhhh

Thanks!

Back