Bewers Yeast Vs. Wine Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKev

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

I got some really old supplies from my dad that use to make wine back in the early 70's. Anyways, in his supplies, he had several packets of dried wine yeast and one vile of liquid wine yeast. These things are circa 1973.

Questions:
A. Is this stuff still any good? If so, is there any advantage of having old yeast?

B. Can you use this yeast to make beer?

thoughts?

The yeast is most likely past its window of viability... if you have extremely good sanitation you could try making a very light starter and stepping it up or grow your own culture in a petri dish (easier than people might think if you are able to sterilize, not just sanitize). No promises with that, but it is possible that a few cells made it through all these years.

You could use it to make beer, but perhaps it would make more sense in an apfelwein, yum.

35 year-old yeast will be dead, dead, dead and wine yeast does not work all that well for beer anyway.

that is why I asked. I wouldn't want to use it if it is just going to ruin my wort. thanks for the ifo guys...

Back