Wyeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOTER

Reaction score
I'm brewing an altbier right now and I'll be pitching in about an hour. I'm using a Wyeast activator smack pack for the first time and I have what is probably a silly question. What happens to the inner nutrient packet? Does it dump right into the wort with the yeast? Thanks in advance for the help.

Just cut the corner off the outer pack and the inner pack can't fall out. The nutrient pack should have ruptured when you "smacked the pack" and that feeds the yeast, causing the pack to swell.

Just cut the corner off the outer pack and the inner pack can't fall out. The nutrient pack should have ruptured when you "smacked the pack" and that feeds the yeast, causing the pack to swell.

Thanks. The yeast is pitched and all is well. I've heard good things about Wyeast and I'm looking forward to the results (in a few months).

Back