Rye Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instereo13

Reaction score
I' on a saison kick. I was planning a 50% barley, 50% wheat saison but I gots to a thinking and I think rye might add a nice bit of spiciness to the saison.
How much rye can be in a grain bill with out ruining it?

I'm doing 5 gallons so I was thinking:

6 lbs of pilsner
6 lbs of rye

is this way too much?

jason

I do a 60/40 munich/rye ale that is awesome, but the munich definitely is the dominant flavour. Using a very pale malt like pilsner will really let the rye shine through and it sounds great!

I know I'm throwing in a pound of rye in my next saison. Sure hope it makes an appearance in the taste department. Be sure to let us know how this one works out!

Did anyone else read the Zymurgy article about saisons? if not, I'll update you on some of the ideas.
Wheat IPA saison
pumpkin saison
black saison
sorry, I've already drooled on my keyboard and must stop now

instereo13 said:
Did anyone else read the Zymurgy article about saisons? if not, I'll update you on some of the ideas.
Wheat IPA saison
pumpkin saison
black saison
sorry, I've already drooled on my keyboard and must stop now
Same here. I did miss that article, if you want to fill in the blanks.

Rye saison sounds excellent! But if you're looking for that distinct spicy/tangy flavor from rye bread thats mostly from the caraway seed... possibly an interesting spice addition to a saison? :mug:

What's do you fine folks think a little chocolate rye would do for this beer?
What if I added it late in the mash?
say 8oz for a 5 gallon batch.

is it not needed since I'll already have 6# of rye malt?

I would leave it out personally, you'll get a really nice flavour from the rye and you don't want to cover up any of the saison yeast attributes with roasted flavours. But it's your beer. :mug:

Back