Craigslist + Homebrewing = Awesome!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatchinZs

Reaction score
I just picked up two ten gallon gatorade coolers for 30 bucks. Absolutely awesome.

Seems that this school district switched to Coke products and now must use powerade as part of there contract....therefore no Gatorade coolers.

Craigslist makes our lives so much easier.

Congrats! Give it a good soak in Oxiclean for a few days to get rid of the Gatorade smell & flavor before you try to use it as a mash tun.

Without a doubt.

I'm going to have plenty of time to do that because it's going to take me some time to get the valve and braided line or false bottom installed.

I'll second the craigslist comment. I picked up a bench bottle capper the other day for $10, and while I was there the guy gave me 3 cases of new bottles, a new hydrometer, and a 6gal carboy for free.

jacobyhale said:
I'll second the craigslist comment. I picked up a bench bottle capper the other day for $10, and while I was there the guy gave me 3 cases of new bottles, a new hydrometer, and a 6gal carboy for free.
Sweet! I keep looking, but no super deals are to be found in las vegas... yet :D

I'll say, here are some of my scores that I picked up this year:

-fridge keg conversion kit: 5lb CO2 tank, regulator, Sanke tap, faucet and shank: $20.
-5 pin lock kegs: $60
-7 cu ft chest freezer: free

Patience is key, there were many items that I responded to that were already gone, or just missed, or the seller never responded. But for all that frustration, I still ended up way ahead.

Agreed on Craigslist. Last week, I got a pile of gear from a fellow who hadn't brewed in a while and wanted to get his space back. I got a propane burner, 2 5 gallon carboys, a 6.5 gallon carboy, a large-ish Al pot, and lots of odds and ends (carboy caps, racking canes, brushes, phalse bottom, sparge arm, etc etc etc)

All for $30.

Now I have 6 carboys. How, oh how, will I ever find anything to do with them? I'm going to need more kegs. And a keezer.

much less people on craigslist in montana. though i have had luck using the "items wanted" function.

actually, i've ended up getting everything i listed; a new office chair, a pool table, and a turkey fryer.

i thought you weren't suppose to soak in oxy clean for over 8 hours? I read that it will eat pits into your glass carboys when soaked to long. if it will eat holes into your glass, what would it do to your cooler?

Even if it does pit the cooler it shouldn't be much of a problem due to the fact that the wort will be boiled after exiting it so any potential bacteria havens won't last long.

For the record, I've let bottles sit in oxyclean for a week because I forgot about them and they were not effected so I'm not sure why some people have this problem.

I have been looking for months and pretty much been shut out as far as anythiing brewing related... Kinda disappointing when I see all of the stuff you guys are able to find

I have been trying to get ahold of one form the Detroit Craigslist. Guy has three carboys, minikeg tap, three mini-kegs, tripple scale hydrometer, two cappers (don't need), bottle/carboy brushes (don't need), three cans of malt extract, Brewer's Best Octoberfest kit, 15 grolsch bottles, 32 brown 12oz bottles all for $100. I have fired off three emails without a responce.....argh!

And for the rest of you Michiganders...I call dibs on this one....if they ever reply! :D

ditto on the items wanted. I got 2 carboys, 4 corneys , 4 cases of bottles, a capper, 20#co2 tank, primary and secondary buckets and a mess load of other items or $180 using the items wanted approach.

Latest posts

Back