Clearing up a Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which methods work best? (may choose multiple choices)

• Time/Settling

• Fining agents, i.e. Gelatin, Isinglass, Whirlfloc, Irish Moss

• Cooling the wort quickly

• Cold-crashing

• The use of a Secondary

• Filtering through mesh material

• Avoiding agitation of the yeast cake

• Choosing a high flocculating yeast

• Other (explain in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

bobbrews

Reaction score
What works best for you? (see poll)

Additionally:

*What works the least?
*Which technique is over-rated?
*Which technique is under-rated?

I've only tried Irish Moss. Left a beer outside overnight before bottling at 50F but never done a proper cold crash. Seemed to help a little. My best success with clearing a beer has been using a high floc yeast and time.

I'm not overly concerned with clarity so I just wait a week or so for the yeast to drop following fermentation then put it in a keg. But I've heard great things about finings like gelatin and/or filtering. Both are supposed to work really well.

my process is pretty simple. irish moss the last 5 min of boil. 2 week primary, 2 week secondary, 48hr cold crash, 3 week bottle condition, 1 week or MORE in the fridge.
so yeah, it's 6 to 8 weeks, but it's worth every single bit of it. for the clear results.

Gelatin. Works great. 1 pack Knox Gelatin in 1 cup water. Let it sit for 20 minutes to hydrate. Microwave for 1 minute and stir. Solution should be clear. Add to keg. Stir gently. Wait at least five days. Clear beer.

The only fining I'll use is whirfloc in the kettle, as I want my beers to be vegetarian friendly. But between using whirlfloc, and getting a good hot break and cold break, my beer is clear so I never felt the need for anything else.

Back