Long time brewer, first time poster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogs

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I got one of those reminder e-mails that I haven't visited this site in a while and to check out the new wiki and such. Very good start to the wiki I must say! I look forward to contributing however possible.

I've been homebrewing for the past 4 years doing extract kits from Northern Brewer or Midwest Brewing Supplies. Lately I've been experimenting with my own extract recipes. The first one(a German/British/American hopped IPA) has just been "baptised" by a tasting last night and is ready for consumption. It's odd tasting because of the different hops(Fuggles, Goldings, Chinook, Centennial, and Spalt) I used. You get citrus flavor, then a bit of spice, then earthy, then bitter, then alcohol. Very confusing for the taste buds.

Anyways my goal is to get into all-grain brewing this summer so I can do a Stella clone for my daughter's first birthday in December. With her name being Ella it seemed a good choice. First I have to finish my mad-scientist computer fermentation chamber. It's an old NetFRAME server that's been gutted. I'll be sure to post pics when it's complete. Hopefully I get some Goldings and Centennial hops from the rhizomes I planted this year. Porters and IPAs are my favorite styles.

As the Summit Brewery t-shirt I'm wearing says, "Beer is My Life".

boogs

Shoreview, MN.

Oh yes, I always use the whirlfloc after seeing the wonders it does for clarity.

Hey, thought I would jump in here too- I also got one of the reminder emails. I have been reading many of the posts and recipes and feel a little 'i am not worthy'! I only started brewing late last year, mostly kits so far (9 beers, 3 ginger beers and a cider) but have done one partial mash. I do enjoy the gingers/ cider as I feel a little more confident fooling around with the ingredients (appeals to the chef in me!) at this stage but am getting there with the beers too (and convincing my b/f and fellow brewer to lash out and go AG). Main trouble so far is keeping up the supply to our consumption!

It gets addicting, doesn't it? If you like to cook though, brewing seems to come naturally. I think it's the whole "creation" thing. When you sit back and have a beer you created, the way you like it.

Don't ever be afraid to ask a question- we've all been there!

Back