Kevin in the great white north

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin476

Reaction score
Hi all from Alaska. My old man is a total beer geek, won several competitions and such and I just decided lately that I was going to pick up the habit myself! :mug:

Welcome!! I love Anchorage! To be honest if it wasn't a "sell everything you own" type of move I would relocate to AK in a heart beat.

Thanks. I moved from new Mexico almost 3 years ago and brought all my crap. ;) best decision of my life!

Thanks. I moved from new Mexico almost 3 years ago and brought all my crap. ;) best decision of my life!

Meh, way too cold for me (Alaska). I'd like to visit (in the summer) though.

Welcome to the HBTville, where it's always a comfortable 75F in the shade, the women are scarce but lovely, and the neighbors are always above-average homebrewers.

Homercidal said:
I'm with Passedpawn. Always wanted to visit, but not in the winter. Maybe do some hunting and fishing and photography.

Ya I hear you, I'm here for the summers. They cannot be beat. I kinda came for the fishing but it was not at all what I expected, I had a lot to learn! I don't mind the cold though so I tolerate the winters, just have to vacation at some point during them.

How was the move? I would have a four bedroom house to move along with a wife, 6yr old, and baby. UGH haha. We both want too, though.

Well I came up with a friend who had just graduated college, we bought an 18' trailer and pulled it with a newer F-150 with a v-6 and our dirtbikes in the back so that was a little scary but the trip was amazing. We stopped alot through the US to visit old friends and stuff but when we hit the border it was stop for gas only which I regret being in such a hurry because it was amazing country. I think it only took us 46.5 hours to get from Bellingham to Anchorage so we were haulin.. Also if you decide you want to check it out I strongly suggest coming up for a week and job hunting depending on your profession, I am uneducated so most people that I talked to said ya we get alot of people who want us to hire and they never move up so I was kinda weary, but my fried is an engineer and not only did he get hired while we were still in NM but the company that hired him gave him a ton of $ for moving, paid for gas and all.

Relocation costs is a big big help. I'm in Law Enforcement, which is surprisingly difficult to transfer to AK in. I was recruited by a PD until I realized they were the North Pole, and I ain't going there haha.

The truth is it will probably never happen. SWMBO talks a great game but she hates the cold (MI born, headed south to MO) no matter how much she says she would be fine with it. I have been considering Loisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas. Her family is from the latter two.

Thats cool, if you ever need info or help let me know. I do know that LE is for sure different up here than it is where im from (you would get pulled over for anything!) police are pretty scarce up here and generally much more friendly. :)

I love that you can carry insane weapons without a permit lmao. I love AK. Except Fairbanks.

How long have you been up there? If I was a real man and not a geek in uniform I would work on some oil rigs or something.

Thats for sure everyone carries gun here! myself included but I did that in NM too. My company has a location in Fairbanks and im right there with you, cant stand the place. My favorite place so far in Seward and of course Cordova (no roads in or out). I have been here almost 3 years now. It is usually pretty easy to find jobs here.

She wants to transfer after a year (Correctional Officer) to somewhere other than Missouri. Was her first move out of state and some rough spots just kind of bittered her to this place.

I keep AK on the list, but I can just see taking the whole adventure to move us up there for her to hate it the first winter and make me reverse it.

Back