Should I leave my starter on the stir plate while at work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
I turned on the stir plate about 10 hours ago and have to leave for work in a few minutes. Could someone tell me if it would be more wise to leave it alone or to refrigerate it and return it to the plate when I get home this evening? It already has a little krausen and appears that it could overflow if left unattended.

1.5L water
150g amber dme
wyeast british ale

Leave it on, it will be fine. You're supposed to do something like 18 hours with it on. I have never had a stir plate overflow, even when filled high. If you're concerned, put a towel under it.

o.k. I'll leave it alone. Does it matter how fast it spins or is it only important to keep the yeast suspended?

Mostly just keep the yeast suspended. There will be a little vortex. I have a minimum speed on mine before the stir bar jumps off, but it's probably because I made the stir plate.

my last yeast starter was done and placed in the fridge. Then brewday fell through. The next week when I saw I was going to have a chance to brew in a few days i made up some more starter wort, decanted the spent wort and bumped up my starter. The next morning I had yeast everywhere. So it can happen. 1 had about 1600 ml in a 2000 ml flask though. Fermcap on my next step up.

Was it on a stir plate? I've had insane blow offs from some yeast (especially belgians) and even though the starters were always topped up (1L in 1L flask, plus the vial) I've yet to have a starter blow up on a stir plate.

I came home to find that the starter looked pretty similar to when I left it. The laundry room sure smelled yeasty though. Kind of like what a bag of beer cans smells like on the way to the recycle yard. I'm putting it in the fridge for a few hours so I can decant later. I can pitch it fridge cold can't I?

I usually make starterr 24 or so hours prior to pitching, then dump the whole thing in.
If your going to decant you have to let yeast warm to room temp. before pitching so
you don't shock the yeast.

I usually make starterr 24 or so hours prior to pitching, then dump the whole thing in.
If your going to decant you have to let yeast warm to room temp. before pitching so
you don't shock the yeast.

Good to know, thanks.:mug:

Back