Question on efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishing73

Reaction score
Just made an all grain Chinook IPA. My OG was supposed to be 1.053, I got 1.054. Tried to check my efficiency on said it was only 66percent. doestn't seem right to me. What yall think? :mug:

10lbs Rahr 2-row pale
.75lbs Belian caramel Pils
.25 Briess Caramel 120

According to Promash, that's 70% efficiency for a 5g batch (higher if you collected more than 5g. I certainly wouldn't bother about a difference of 0.001.

-a.

material list says og of 1.053. So they estimate efficiency of 70percent? Figured it would be arount 75ish. Dunno, of well. Thanks guys.

What do y'all average of efficiency? Is 70 percent decent?

yes it is.

70% is good... see if you can maintain it (no reason you shouldn't stay there)

I am now getting abt 65%, but it is pretty consistent batch to batch, which is what is important to me..if i hit 70%, there will be no parade, just a higher OG bec Promash is dialed in at 65%..

When fly sparging and I know I'm getting close to pre boil volume I stop adding water and just let mash tun finish draning.

If I don't have enough pre boil volume I just sparge a little more water till I get my desired volume.

Is this the correct way to do this or should I keep my water an inch or so over grain bed at all times. Then just stop mash tun when I get to prboil volume?

Not sure with precess would produce rinse more sugar into BK? Thanks guys!

Back