Bottling first lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodywink

Reaction score
Hey so I was curious what to do a out bottling my first lager. It been at 35 for 4 weeks and at 6 weeks I plan to bottle but I've been told that after lagering it can cause u to lose your yeast and not allow carbonation. I've heard that you can add yeast or should I just say forget it and keg

You probably still have enough yeast in your beer to carb it up even after extended lagering.

Having said that, adding yeast at bottling won't hurt anything and will guarantee that you will carb up.

Your choice.

Cool so do I just bottle as usual. Also after I bottle do I just leave the bottles out like any other beer that I've brewed. So it will bring the temp back up to about 63

I always add new yeast to lager when I am bottling. Call me crazy but, I would rather take care of the issue from the start when it is easy, rather than to have a batch not carb and then try and figure out what to do. Lagering just takes too much time to chance it and have it not turn out.

Back