new to lambics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiafa

Reaction score
I brewed a base for a Kriek on 24 april, which had a starting gravity of 1.053.
It was brewed in two batches, on mashed at about 70°C, the other one at 64°C (but I have extracted about 20% of the mash liquid 5 minutes after adding the grain and brough to boil - sort of a turbid mash).

In the entire volume I dumped a roeselare pack and a bit of wyeast forbidden fruit (about 60-70ml of slurry).

Today i measured the gravity and it's sitting at 1.002. The entire liquid is starting do develop a pelicle.

Is it normal for lambics to attenuate so quick?

--

Q2: I have a blone ale the I've inoculated with the dregs from about 5 orval bottles. It was at about 1.012 at that time (a month ago) and now it's sitting at 1.005 (1.008 two weeks ago). Is it safe to bottle at this point? ( I have some orval bottles and some small 0.25l lambic bottles to use) and how much sugar should I use to prime it.

That is very strange with the lambic base. 96% Apparent Attenuation in 2 weeks. Not sure how that happened. Are you sure about your mash temperatures?
How does it taste?

2: I would test every 2 weeks or more and wait for it stabilize. This way you can really get your carbonation right instead of guessing how much more it will attenuate.

Sure about the mash temperature. Tastes good atm, there is a bit of souring going on. I thought that the turbid mashing should take longer to digest.

A similar beer, mashed at 70°C finished primary fermentation at 1.024, similar malt composition used. Gone to 1.018 after 1 month with Orval dregs.

In fact. I have done something that I dont do usually. The first batch was aerated. The second one had a bit of olive oil added (toothpick surface), since I didnt want to aerate because I added the wort after about 50h after the first batch.

Not really sure how the beer will evolve because there is not much sugar to work on. Maybe wait a month or a few then add some maltodextrin or even some cherries (it is cool to watch them break down over time and you can get some good complex flavors from the pits the longer the beer sits on them) . This beer sounds like you should just taste it and decide what it needs.

Regarding cherries. Should I add them with pits?
I was thinking of removing them and treating them with some pectic enzime and add the resulting slurry.

It depends on the flavor you want. The pits provide a unique nutty flavor from what I have read. I have not tasted beers side by side. But if you are trying to be authentic then leave the pits and add the cherries whole.

Back