Peppery Flavor and low temp reccomendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonutBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'd like to brew a Belgian-like IPA with lots of peppery Belgian yeast character. Two things I need advice on: 1) I've never used Belgian yeasts, so can you guys recommend some? Just based on descriptions, I was thinking maybe WLP530 or 550, but don't let that limit your own creativity; 2) I am limited to low temperatures right now (about 65-68 degF) in my apartment. I know I should probably just be patient and wait til the summer, but I want it now! :)

So, what do you suppose is the best compromise between temperature and pepper character?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'd like to brew a Belgian-like IPA with lots of peppery Belgian yeast character. Two things I need advice on: 1) I've never used Belgian yeasts, so can you guys recommend some? Just based on descriptions, I was thinking maybe WLP530 or 550, but don't let that limit your own creativity; 2) I am limited to low temperatures right now (about 65-68 degF) in my apartment. I know I should probably just be patient and wait til the summer, but I want it now! :)

So, what do you suppose is the best compromise between temperature and pepper character?

Thanks!

I just brewed a Belgian Pale Ale (Which I'm sippin right now :tank:) and a Golden Strong with 550. Your temps are perfect for getting a clean beer w/ a distinctive spicy Belgian yeast profile w/o it being over the top estery and phenolic. Keeping it low for a couple of days then letting the exothermic nature of the fermentation process ramp the temps naturally will help to balance the ester/ phenolic aspects. I think 550 w/ that temp schedule would be the perfect complement to a good IPA...Good Luck :mug:

I ended up going with WY3522 (equivalent to WLP550), fermented started at about 66degF and I wrapped a blanket around it to let it warm up on its own. It turned out wonderfully. I used a healthy dose of rye to give it "spicy complexity" and put all the hops in under 15 minutes to give it a less harsh bitter. Man, that yeast was fantastic!

Back