Only one yeast wash??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josers

Reaction score
Ok what i did was dumped the cake (with water) into a jar and let it settle (for about a week). I was going to wash it a couple more times, but didn't get around to it. So last night I made a starter with that "good layer" of yeast. Any recommendations before I pitch on sunday?

Thanks

Do you have it on a still plate or are you shaking it everytime you walk by. Want to get some O2 in there so the yeast have something to breathe and allows to make more yeast.

yeah giving it a good shake often... should I be concerned that since i didn't wash it well there was a lot of trub in there?

As long as your last beer didn't taste sour the only problem with a little trub I see is less room in your carboy for beer.

So I made a starter with the yeast and after i pitched it was active for one day after then stopped. Since this is a 1086 stout I don't think it fermented out that quick. I did notice that for the one day is was fermenting that it wasn't as active as other brews. It wasn't "churning up" fast inside. this is my first problem with brewing any help is greaty appreciated.

If it was a big enough starter, it may very well have finished that quick, that's the point of a starter... to get a very quick fermentation.

Or, it could still be fermenting, but the beer is absorbing most of the CO2 so your airlock is tricking you into thinking it's not fermenting.

Or, if your mash temp was too high, you don't have as many fermentable sugars and the yeast finished off everything.

Or, the temperature could have dropped significantly, slowing the yeast down.

There could be a thousand things.

I would wait a full week and then do a hydrometer reading, and go from there.

EDIT* : Now that I think about it, I made a stout with WL Irish Ale and I remember it fermenting normally for about 3 days then 'stopping', I waited it out and it was finished as planned. And I didn't make a starter. Had I made a starter, I may very well have had the same results you are describing.

. . . . I did notice that for the one day is was fermenting that it wasn't as active as other brews. It wasn't "churning up" fast inside. this is my first problem with brewing any help is greaty appreciated.

Every fermentation is different due to numerous factors out of our control, not the least of which is probably: moon phase, barometric pressure, temperature, vibrations, etc.

I would call this success if it is fermenting, it's not a problem at all, normal comes to mind, it's RDWHAHB time:mug:

Back