PID/SCR Recommendations, please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I am looking to use a PID Controller with SCR controllers in my HLT and possibly the BK. I do not want to use 240V power as I want it to be as portable as possible (Indoor/Outdoor use). So I am thinking of using 120VAC to power my electric heating elements (Need suggestions here also) as they will be installed on my 10gal HLT & BK

I have looked at Omega.com and have some pricing, but I was hoping members here have already found and use less expensive components. The PID controller I was looking at is the CNI3222-C24. It has potential for rs232/rs485 connectivity to a computer and is provided with software. The SCR's (30amp/single phase) are $162.00 each ordered on-line from the manufacturer. I have RTD's although the price from Omega for their PR-21A-3-100-1-1/4-0600-m12-1 is not to bad. This RTD is capable of direct immersion into the HLT/BK.

So is anyone out there able to offer up any guidance or suggestions on better more cost effective components?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Salute! :mug:

There is a brand new Chromalox SCR controller capable of 35 amps on ebay with a buy it now price of $112: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CHROMALOX-S...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad6f1eb6c

If you are looking for less expensive PID's, Auber Instruments has some nice ones although without the RS-232 control for $36 to $78. Auber's submersible RTD's range in price from $16 to $32. I hope that helps.

You could go with a 2000 watt element on a 20 Amp 120 volt line. Be aware that it may take some time to get to a boil. Plumbingsupply.com has them for $9.24 each.

Thanks for the information. I will look into these items later today and hope to make a purchase this weekend. I just brewed my first AG Bohemian Pilsner last night and it was a pain to have to move things around the way I did. I want to get my brew stand built and automated as much as possible to alleviate the physical strain on my poor back and legs.

I just started using my fermentation chamber with the brew mentioned above, I am so looking forward to making Lagers and Pilsners on a regular basis. This will help me to get there.

Thanks again.

Salute! :mug:

Back