Temperature indicator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a reaonably priced digital indicator. I was thinking about multiple channel unit so i could measure a couple of points through the process.

Right now i am just considering an indicator as i am doing the rest manually. However, as i continue to brew i find myself always adding on to my equipment. So i was wondering if i should just splurge and pick up a PID controller/display.

Let me know what you guys think.

You can get the cheapest PID at Auber, and a probe for about $50.00
But, the BCS would be a better investment IMO, just for the expandability and bling factor

kegtoe, You wont find a digital display for much cheaper than the Auber PIDs. If I were in your shoes I would splurge the extra $10 for the PID.

im not real strong with process control. If i go with a PID, do they make mulitple channel varieties or would i need one fore ach point im checking the temp?

Also what do you guys suggest for measement - direct or thermowell??

kegtoe, You wont find a digital display for much cheaper than the Auber PIDs. If I were in your shoes I would splurge the extra $10 for the PID.

+1 The BCS-460 is $187 for (4) temperature inputs. Each temperature probe is $16 for a total of $235 plus you need a PC to operate it. On the other hand a Auber PID is $35.95 and submersable platnum RTD's at $15.65 each. Normal switching could be used for multiple RTD's. Heck, the OP could have 4 separate PID's and RTD's for less than a BCS-460 if he wanted to.

im the OP. what would you guys recomend? the BCS or all seperate PIDs? im trying to learn all i can.

You really do not need separate PID's. You can switch the RTD's. The BCS-460 is a nice device but if you are just measuring temperature, it's expensive and you need to have a pc comitted for brewing. Let others chime in before you make a decision so you get more than one data point before jumping in with both feet.

My friend has his household computer in the family room, uses a 20' cord to plug into the BCS unit on the brewery in the patio to program it. Unplugs it then lets the BCS unit do it's thing. Downloads for future exact copy brews into the computer with the cord. His computer is used by the whole family not just a dedicated computer for the BCS unit only.

I have a BCS-460 and like it. One feature that I think you kind of mentioned that it has that most PID's don't is the ability to "log" data. You can generate a graph of exactly what the temp did along the way. You want to know how much your strike water temp dropped when you added the grain and how long it took to stabilized back to mash temp... it'll tell you. If you are looking for the cheapest route, the BCS is probably not it. But, it is not nearly as expensive as an industrial unit would be with similar functionality.

Sounds like you're looking for something with a bit more sophistication than this, but I use a thermometer from stpats.com. It's digital readout and it screws into a 1/2" NPT fitting on my kettle. They're listing it for $38 now. Attach it, look at it, and get the temp. Cheap enough that you don't mind upgrading later.

I try to prevent double purchasing and buy good once besides on a fixed income the War Department will get pissed off. This is why it's taking so long besides the bad back. This allows for more new ideas to pop up and use also so a win win for my rig.

I try to prevent double purchasing and buy good once besides on a fixed income the War Department will get pissed off. This is why it's taking so long besides the bad back. This allows for more new ideas to pop up and use also so a win win for my rig. I can also switch over and read the internal fermenter temps as well plotted on a chart. Many uses with the BCS plus the expansion cards it will handle.

anyone else use multiple PIDs. I dont want to switch the RTD or put it in different containers becuase i want to do a constant monitor of all parts. Keeping my mash at 154 while i heat and maintain my sparge water for example.

I use 3, One for the BK, one for the Rims. the third just displays the MLT temp. They all have their own probes

I have two PIDs. One is for mlt the other will be for future electric boil. I have a brewmometer inline to monitor recirc temps. This works great as well.

Latest posts

Back