Specific Gravity is Higher than O.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie

Reaction score
Hi, I am fermenting a lager with
6.25 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
6 oz Crystal Malt (10L)
1/2 lb of Corn Sugar
And Pilsen Lager Yeast
I had recorded a O.G. of 40. It has been fermenting for a week at 48 Degrees. Today when I measured the S.G. it was 46. Is that possible? Or did I miss-measure or record the wrong O.G.? The recipe I used estimated the O.G. to be 55-59, I must have gotten it wrong.:drunk: I did have a few while I was brewing it.

if you used the amount of water called for in the recipe - your O.G would have been 55-59- with extract there is no problem with effeciency.
when you took your O.G the extract probably was not mixed completely with the water and you got a diluted sample.

I took the original at 68 degrees and the new one at 48 degrees, but I did account for temperature. Now my beer is at 1.022 so I am lagering it at 40 degrees. I had a sip and it tasted fine. I am certain now I got the O.G. wrong so I will just go by the estimated Gravity for my records.

Back