We need kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebhomey

Reaction score
Has anyone seen (anywhere) some cheap (pricewise) kettles 160q + (45 gallons preferably 50-55). Stainless a must. Is there anyone out there who knows what the price for a 4x12' sheet of 1/16 stainless goes for? We need kettles!!!
:tank:

Call a local fabricator for stainless prices. As far as kettles go, your best bet is watching for something used on e-bay. I suspect you are looking at $500-1000 dollars.

Stainless sheet that big is going to cost you a lot - on the order of $500+. I'd look to buy a complete kettle if I were you.

EDIT: The site, www.morebeer.com, usually carries what you're looking for. They say they're out of stock on the 55 gallon one, but they have the bigger 135 gallon kettle for $550.

At work I've ordered 55 gallon stainless barrels from Lab Safety Supply, http://www.labsafety.com/search/drums/10963/

I often thought that a few of those would make a great all-grain system. Shipping was not cheap though. When I'm at work tomorrow I'll check my invoices and see what we paid but I think it was in the $550 range, I think that I received a quote so let me check my old emails and see if I can locate a contact name for you and maybe he'll give you a good price.

I can only dream of having a system that could handle between 35-40 gallon boils; makes my wimpy ten gallon setup seem totally inadequate. I've seen used stainless barrels but in my line of business one can only guess what was previously stored in them but if you want I'll see what these used ones are going for.

Jeffrey

Brewpastor uses old steam-feed soup kettles, I believe.

runhard - the nice thing about stainless, caustic soda will not hurt it while removing ANYTHING that was in the container before. Not saying caustic soda is a safe thing to play with, but it does the job.

Where do you live? If you live anywhere there are a lot of pools you can convert old pool filters into pots. I have 30 gallon pots and my club (Maltose Falcons) has the 45 gallon pots. I traded mine for beer so basically they were free.

This is what mine look like....
Recirc3.jpg

This is what my club has (before clean up)
LargeMashTun.jpg

That looks great! How hard was it to clean them up? What modifications did you have to make?
:tank:

I put about 4 hours into each pot to get them shiney and drill them out. The only modification that they needed other then the couplings was to plug up a 4" hole where the diverter goes. Here is a pic of what the hole looks like after welding.

Stainlessbraid2.jpg

Monster Mash said:
If you live anywhere there are a lot of pools you can convert old pool filters into pots. I have 30 gallon pots and my club (Maltose Falcons) has the 45 gallon pots. I traded mine for beer so basically they were free.

I always wondered what those pots were made for originally. They seem to be perfect for making big batches of beer. I might have to keep an eye out for them now.

Check scrap yards, they usually have some. I got one from a scrap yard and then called about 5 pool maintenance companies. I had 2 guys that would drop them off at my house and I gave them beer in exchange.

Latest posts

Back