What do you do with your spent grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a Saison du Mont today and bagged 6 one gallon zip locks for the chickens. These guys were waiting for me to dump the rest. It won't last an hour out there tonight.

MoreSpentGrains4.jpg

Nice pic ed.

I toss them in my compost and give it a few turns, maybe throw some sawdust to dry it out a bit, if I'm not feeling lazy that is.

Put them out back in the woods. The deer eat them right up!

But far enough away from the house because a sh*t load of flies gather around cuz of any leftover sugar there might be.

I now feed them to our chickens. I put some out for them as soon as it cools and then bag the rest and put in the refrigerator so it stays fresh and I can give them some each day until it is gone. I used to throw in the garden or compost.

I put mine into plastic zip locks, then add some mushroom plugs (once the grains have cooled) and grow ****ake, oyster and turkey tail mushrooms.

Ok, anyone in CA that wants to get rid of their spent grains? I've looked at countless posts. willing to travel from Fresno to Marysvielle (furthest in both directions!!)

su

Back