Yeast versus "stuck" question (British Ale Strain)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got back into the brewing world and have a few beers in the works. So far so good!

The last batch I brewed was a higher gravity Strong/Old Ale. Here is my basic issue:

Everything went smooth, partially mashed about 40% of the gris. Starting gravity hit target (72 GU's) and I had a 12 minute temp reduction to 75 degrees on the wort (3 gallons) prior to adding to another 2.5 gallons of water in the primary.

I pitched Wyeast Activator British Ale. (in the old days I used dry yeast or viles culled from some friends in the brew business. I lived in Denver and knew some of the brewery folks). I have never used the British Ale strain....

Very active fermentation kicked off about 20 hours after pitching and went nuts for about 24 hours. Then, it really seemed to die off. The wort was aerated pretty good prior to capping the bucket.

I shook up the primary a bit and got some more activity after it slowed down.

The issue, I think, is that the temperature was 62-64 degrees where the primary was sitting. I moved it to a warmer area, 69 degrees, but had to leave for a week and have not been back yet.

Question - is the British Ale strain that succeptable to cooler fermenting temps? I find it hard to believe that the beer fermented that fast from a CO2 creation standpoint. I know that fermenting could still have been happening, but that seemed a bit wierd.

Thanks for any and all feedback everyone!

Thanks for the reply!

I thought about taking a new reading, but was kind of in a rush and was a little worried about contamination at that point. I went for the approach of "walking" the batch a bit and moving to a little warmer area. I figured leaving on the trub wouldn't hurt, so better safe than sorry I thought.

Yooper - where in the UP are ya? I have relatives in Escanaba. I figure anyone over the bridge is gotta be good people! :D

Back