What's Wrong With Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaneKasey

Reaction score
so what's wrong with using ascorbic acid? because i was at the super wal mart store, and they have 100% apple juice that's from concentrate, and the only other ingredient is Ascorbic acid. the juice is crystal clear, and it's only $1.97 for a 3 quart plastic bottle. i've heard that preservatives are bad, but i don't quite understand what a single vitamin used as a preservative would be horrible. Can a genius fill me in?

If your looking for juice with no ascorbic acid, you'll be looking for a while! Like Nurmey said, just watch for anything with sorbate in the name.

I've used the Walmart brand juice for all three batches I've made with no issues. Love the results. I would like to try it with a more premium brand just to compare.

I've used the Walmart brand juice for all three batches I've made with no issues. Love the results. I would like to try it with a more premium brand just to compare.

Done it. Couldn't tell the difference. Paid close to $50 for the batch though, instead of something like $12 for the Walmart brand batch.

The premium batch gave me a sore butt. Mostly from kicking myself for spending all that unnecessary money.

Generally ascorbic acid is added to non-acidic fermentables, such as honey, to give the yeast a more favorable environment. If you're buying juice, as said, you're unlikely to find any without it added (there's quite a bit naturally occurring, too) as ascorbic acid is used to keep your clean, clear apple juice from turning brown, like cut apples do.

The last cider I made, I made from local, raw pressed cider, no additives. It was quite brown in bottle, looking like real, old fashioned cider, and nothing like the apple juice you buy in bottle. This is do, at least in part, to the lack of antioxidants in the juice, and partially because of the massive amounts of sediment in pressed cider.

I added some ascorbic acid to the juice before pitching the yeast, to provide some antioxidant protection.

Nothing wrong with ascorbic acid, it's actually a good thing. It's an antioxidant & actually helps to protect your cider from oxidation. It's also good for you (vitamin C) & will fade over time. I use juice with added ascorbic acid all the time, no problem.
Things you DON'T want in your juice are sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate. Avoid juices with these chemicals.
Regards, GF.

Thanks for this - been confused about additives. Need some more juice to top up my batch. Wally world here I come.

Latest posts

Back