Sub for Danstar Nottingham Yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
Trying to make a big english ale that calls for this yeast.

What would you sub with? I can get a US-56 or S-05. What else would be close for this do you think?

US-56 and S-05 are the same thing (US-56 was renamed to S-05). So either of them would be a good sub for nottingham.

I love Safale 05, but I don't think it's really the proper yeast for an English ale. It's really going to ferment out pretty dry. How big is your "big english ale" going to be? Depending on what you want your final gravity to be, you might consider using Safale 04 as a more fitting yeast for an English ale.

I do think that S-05 is similar in attenuation to Nottingham. They have both fermented my beers to under 1.008 regularly.

I would definitely use S-04. You might get slightly less attenuation and slightly more English yeast flavors, but it's probably the best dry yeast to replace Nottingham with in an English ale.

+3 English Ale Yeast = S-04, Windsor, WLP002 (I freakin love this one), and Wyeast 1968

Though Notty = US-05 = WLP001 = Wyeast 1056

Just did a English Brown Ale with a Windsor and really liked it, better than the British Ale that I used on another batch.

Nottingham's a damned good yeast, though- and it shouldn't be very hard to find- in fact, sometimes its the only yeast i can get around here, but they've always got HUNDREDS of packets of Notty available at my LHBS (all three LHBS's, actually)

Latest posts

Back