Specialty grains in kit are NOT crushed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearsWickedBrew

Reaction score
Can anybody share a decent trick for crushing my specialty grains @ home with minimal tools (i.e. Hammer). A pumpkin ale kit I just picked up @ my LHBS came with several uncrushed specialty grains.

I don't have 1..but Im sure i can pick 1 up for cheap...so I guess that will do the trick

Yes, a rolling pin is great. However, most people don't have a rolling pin. Since they are specialty grians there probably are not many of them and you might be able to get away with crushing them between two tight fitting pots or pans or even with a motor and pestal (not that you will have one of those...), a big spoon in a bowl works too.:)

Remember, you're not really going for crushed, basically just need to be cracked.

Great....I'll use a can of soup. Believe it or not there are quite a few specialty grains for this pumpkin ale kit....1lb Flaked Barley....1/2lb German crystal dark malt.....1/4lb chocolate malt. Just in case your wondering...the kit also came w/ 2oz Hallertau hops...& 2 cans muntons light liquid malt extract...I'll be using safale US-05 dry yeast.

I have an additional sanitizer questions for you guys....

I bottled last sunday and transferred my starsan from my bottling bucket to my primary bucket bcuz I knew I would brew soon & i want to re-use it. The starsan has been sitting in my primary all week...with a dark tshirt around it. I dont have any ph testing kits...can I be pretty confident I can re-use after just 1 week?

Yes, a rolling pin is great. However, most people don't have a rolling pin. Since they are specialty grians there probably are not many of them and you might be able to get away with crushing them between two tight fitting pots or pans or even with a motor and pestal (not that you will have one of those...), a big spoon in a bowl works too.:)

Not really meaning to hijack this thread, but is it really true that most people don't own a rolling pin? Pretty much everyone I know owns at least one, and I own two.

Any thoughts on re-using my starsan?...see last post on page 1. Off to pick up a couple supplies & then pumpkin brewing shall commence.

Any thoughts on re-using my starsan?...see last post on page 1. Off to pick up a couple supplies & then pumpkin brewing shall commence.

I believe the rule of thumb is that the starsan is good to go provided that it is not cloudy. Per the suggestion of others on this board I keep some in a spray bottle to disinfect my beer thief and other things between brew days. I keep the rest in a water bottle for reuse. Be sure it foams on contact...

My StarSan is about the same age, I've read that it's still good as long as it's still clear.
It will start to get cloudy when it is losing it's abilities.

Even more handy than a can of soup or a rolling pin is a can of the LME your kit came with. Recommended by my LHBS...worked for me!

Back