bean or extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffie

Reaction score
I been couriuos about trying Valilla in beer.
Whats the best and why? Vanilla Bean or Extract?

Go with the actual pod. Slice it open and scrape the seeds, then drop the whole thing in. Secondary would probably be ideal, but then again I've never used it in beer before. I've done the extract before and it just adds almost too floral of notes, but ages really well. I would assume more vanillians and less floral from the actual pod.

I've never used vanilla in beer but in cooking the pods are much better. Much more complex flavor. Look online I was able to get 7 pods for the price I'd pay for one in the local grocery store.

I have only used vanilla once, in my beer, and the recipe called for the whole bean, scraped.

BTW, an important lesson learned...whole bean is EXPENSIVE ! Look for it at your local healh food store instead of the grocey store. The day after I brewed my Saison, with the vanilla bean, I saw organic bean for half the price !

Anyone have links to beer that uses vanilla so I can see how much and when to add it?

If you use extract, get the stuff made from real vanilla. If you use the whole bean, you can make some of your own extract (i.e., infuse a small amount of vodka or grain alcohol).

I have very little experience with vanilla in beer, but I can tell you this: A little tends to go a long way.

TL

If you use extract, get the stuff made from real vanilla. If you use the whole bean, you can make some of your own extract (i.e., infuse a small amount of vodka or grain alcohol).

I have very little experience with vanilla in beer, but I can tell you this: A little tends to go a long way.

TL

I think there is a "Good Eats" episode where AB teaches viewers how to make their own extracts and different applications on vanilla prep.

So in a nut shell I cut the bean, toss out the insides, cut the hull of the bean and toss in the secondary right?

Also what about sterilization of the bean?

The seeds are used in cooking with vanilla. They are terribly small and keeping them out of bottles when racked may be difficult, but there's a lot of flavor in the seeds. Not sure if you want to get rid of them.

I made a vanilla porter with real vanilla beans and it was good, but needed a bit of aging. At first I didn't notice any vanilla flavor but after a few weeks it just kicked in overnight and it was pretty potent.

I went in with some friends and bought like 90 bulk beans from http://www.bostonvanillabeans.com/ and they came out to less than $1 per bean. But a a couple dozen custards/ice creams/porters later I am about depleated.

TL

The guy at the LHBS here made an amazing porter using this method, he infused the vanilla bean with Vodka, he also added a couple other spices. I dont remember if he added at bottling or in the secondary.

I made 2 or 3 vanilla bean stouts and they all came out pretty good. Using whole vanilla beans definitely gives a unique flavor, kind of like pipe tobacco. I also used some vanilla bean paste, which is basically extract with the seeds mixed in. That worked the best I think, it gave it just the right kind of vanilla flavor and a nice & silky mouthfeel.

Ebay is also a great place for vanilla beans.

I got my order of the vanilla beans in, can I freeze them and they will be ok?

i made a great vanilla porter and it called for 1oz of extract at the time of bottling. if you use a extract its best to put it in at bottling i tried it in the secondary and the flavor wasnt as good as before.

I got my order of the vanilla beans in, can I freeze them and they will be ok?

You can, or you can keep them in sugar and pat them down with a damp cloth before use in wort. But it will keep the vanilla bean in good condition for a while and also add a nice vanilla flavor to your sugar which you can use for really anything.

Back