Lager - Temperatures for Barrel Aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carola1155

Reaction score
So I have a baltic porter that I just brought up for its diacetyl rest yesterday and I'm getting ready to barrel age it in a 5gal bourbon barrel.

My question is... what temperature should I be aging it in the barrel? Should I leave it at the d-rest temp (68F) or should I be sticking the whole barrel in my ferm chamber and age it at the colder temps?

Fermentation should be pretty much done, so I can't really see an issue with keeping it at warmer temps for the barrel aging period and then crashing it down for a second cold-aging period to let things round out.

If I do end up barrel-aging it at the colder temps, how much will I have to worry about barrel shrinkage and leaks?

Thanks in advance!

Small barrels are difficult because the ratio of beer to oak contact area is much higher than large/normal barrels. Evaporation is quicker and oak flavor is imparted quicker.

How much experience do you have with this barrel?

I have the process for aging in this sized barrel down... I age for a few weeks, not several months, and I check them to make sure I'm not over-oaking them. I just have never done a lager in a barrel before. For the ales I've made, the barrel just sits in my cellar at ambient temps (66-68F). This works quicker and yes, evaporates quicker. That is why I'm asking the question about lager temps, because it would change several variables.

I'd rather continue to just age in the cellar, but I've never kept a lager at what basically amounts to d-rest temps for an extended period. So, I'm just simply wondering if I would be okay to do that or if I should definitely bring the whole thing down to lager temps. Bringing it all down to colder temps would obviously change how the wood opens up (hence my concern about leaks) and would slow down evaporation, so it takes me into new territory.

I'm changing something in my process either way... I'm barrel aging at colder temps than I'm used to or conditioning a lager at warmer temps than I'm used to. Don't know which one to choose. :confused:

Edited to add: this is a baltic porter that I've done the exact same recipe a couple times already and its s-23 which I've used several times, so I'm not totally flying blind with a new recipe and everything... just trying to put a spin on something I'm already familiar with.

I would leave it at d-rest temp (68) for the couple of weeks you plan to have it in the barrel.

FWIW - Not a porter but... we have a brewery here in Denver called Bull & Bush and I just had their barrel aged pils called "Woody Pils" and it is awesome! They use barrels that previously held syrah wine but the oak note from any nice barrel would be a very nice change from the everyday. And, porters really take to oak very well.

Sounds like you know your way around using the barrel. It's refreshing that you don't plan an over oaked bourbon bomb!

I've read from a few sources 55-60F is the ideal temp range for barrel aging. Some flux in temps can aid in the absorption and extraction of the beer from the staves. The cooler temps may also inhibit some microbes. I would age in the 50's. and not for long, the barrel could quickly overpower a lighter style.

I am Currently aging a second batch in a 5 gallon barrel, do you increase time for second or third batches in the same barrel?

Thanks for the input guys.

I am Currently aging a second batch in a 5 gallon barrel, do you increase time for second or third batches in the same barrel?

Obviously it can vary depending on the beers you are putting in, but yes I would generally increase the time spent in a barrel on multiple uses. If I was doing the same beer back to back the 2nd and 3rd time it would be left in the barrel longer and longer to achieve the same effect.

Obviously it can vary depending on the beers you are putting in, but yes I would generally increase the time spent in a barrel on multiple uses. If I was doing the same beer back to back the 2nd and 3rd time it would be left in the barrel longer and longer to achieve the same effect.

Thanks, It's what I thought, but wondered you had refilled the barrel a second time and noticed a significant difference. sometimes whats given as "common knowledge" does not happen the same in practice. I aged an espresso stout 4 months in a whiskey barrel and it was wonderful. I had saved half the batch to blend if needed, but it was not oaky at all more vanilla, so instead I just refilled the barrel with it.

Back