Medicine taste to vanilla porter? HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikie_sholtz

Reaction score
I made an 5g extract kit of a basic robust porter and wanted to try and add some vanilla flavor. Well I lazied out and went with two onces of madagascar bourbon vanilla extract. The problem is now I have a medicine like smell and taste to the beer and no vanilla taste whatsoever! I added the vanilla straight to my corny keg and has been setting in keezer for two weeks with little to no change in flavor. Will this go away? will the vanilla flavor devolpe after time? If not I was going to attempt to add some cold steeped coffee and bourban to the beer to mask the off flavor? Or is that a bad idea as well. lol

As in Band-aid medicine?

Left over sanitizer is the usual culprit, or lots of chlorine in top off water.

The base porter tasted as it should when racked to corny. I use dechlorinated water for everything and the corny sanitized and allowed to drain.

No rinse I assume?

If so, you should be good there.

I can't imagine canned vanilla imparting medicine...unless it had some STRONG preservatives.

Hopefully it will disapear. Uncarbed, a beer can taste awful that ends up tasting fantastic once carbed and conditioned a few weeks.

Ya I dont know. It is carbed and has been for two weeks around 40 f. just tryed it last night and still has the taste/aroma. I just wonder should i let it set or try adding the coffee bourban. Like I said it has no vanilla taste whatsoever and it was two onces of high dollar extract not cheap imatation crap.

I would let it sit warm whatever you do, cold isn't going to improve anything.

I would give it 2 weeks warm and see what happens.

Ok my hats off to you sir...But i need some kind of explanation lol. I pulled beer from keezer yesterday , bout 24 hours made sure it had plenty of co2 and let it set and get room temperture. Tried it today after work and the aroma and medicine taste are completly gone.. I mean vanished and now the vanilla flavor is shining through beautifully ? Why did this happen?

Was just going to say... it's probably just young. You're likely just tasting the hotness ot the alcohol that hasn't had time to condition.

Live beer does amazing things warm. Yeast clean up a lot after themselves.

Cold puts the yeast to sleep and accomplish little while dreaming.

Glad it worked out!

Was just going to say... it's probably just young. You're likely just tasting the hotness ot the alcohol that hasn't had time to condition.

Here's one site that explains some of the "off-flavors" that we may find in our brews:

http://morebeer.com/content/homebrew-off-flavors

I had the same thing in a cherry wheat that I did and after pouring out half the bottles, I found out that it would get better if I just let it rest. 2 weeks later, it was drinkable.

Back