Adding a little alcohol to boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added a pound corn sugar. It was my second attempt at a AG oatmeal stout and the gravity was just real low in the 1.040s. Since it worked out well that time I continued to do it in beers that I thought could use a little help.

I added a pound. It was my second attempt at a AG oatmeal stout and the gravity was just real low in the 1.040s. Since it worked out well that time I continued to do it in beers that I thought could use a little help.

Added a lb of ?..

I was checking my beersmith you will Get an extra 1.5% alcohol if you add a pound of corn sugar. But it will take away some ibu's % of your beer. Its your call.

I would just brew it as is. Nothing you do will not affect the beer in some way. If you want more abv, just add more dme or lme. If you want to add a different character, add some bourbon to it after primary.

I was checking my beersmith you will Get an extra 1.5% alcohol if you add a pound of corn sugar. But it will take away some ibu's % of your beer. Its your call.

1 lb of corn sugar will increase the effective OG by .007 in 5 gallons. That will increase abv by about 1%, not 1.5%. I think you did something wrong (garbage in = garbage out).

Adding a little sugar or extract will increase abv. Ignore anyone who says you also have to adjust hops. Yes; to balance the beer you should, but for a pound of added sugars, most people would not be able to tell the difference.

Adding liquor at bottling is another option. I have added rum to a few dark beers, many people add bourbon to beers. About half a bottle increases abv by 1%. Not sure I would go any more than that in any beer.

Remember ...... adding sugars or alcohol will upset the beer balance and make it 'thin'. Some beers have a lot of simple sugars, but are generally complemented by a lot of flavors from yeast.

So if I simply add sugar, it may add a little sweetness and abv and won't be as bitter?

Adding sugar will actually dry out the beer. No added sweetness. The yeast completely ferments out the simple sugars.

Yeast will completely ferment simple sugars and make it seem drier, not sweeter.

Back